Battery life on P2 with GoPro fitted

Reaction score
I'm guessing the GoPro drains the main flight battery when using it for FPV. So I usually make sure the GoPro battery is fully charged prior to flight. Is this correct or does it have no affect on flight battery life?

Still learning this stuff ;)

I'm guessing the GoPro drains the main flight battery when using it for FPV. So I usually make sure the GoPro battery is fully charged prior to flight. Is this correct or does it have no affect on flight battery life?

I thought you couldn't use a GoPro for FPV?

Whether the GoPro battery is fully charged or not has no direct bearing on flight time. What does effect flight time is weight and any that uses pwoer from the P2's battery and that includes the GoPro. Now you can tape off the power leads of the ribbon cable to the camera and let it run on its own battery and will maybe give you an extra minutes or two of flight time.

What you can't use is the GoPro's wifi with the P2 non vision as they use the same frequency of 2.4GHz and the wifi can cause you to lose control of the quad.

Whether the GoPro battery is fully charged or not has no direct bearing on flight time. What does effect flight time is weight and any that uses pwoer from the P2's battery and that includes the GoPro. Now you can tape off the power leads of the ribbon cable to the camera and let it run on its own battery and will maybe give you an extra minutes or two flight time

Thanks I was referring to the GoPro taking power from the flight battery therefore impacting flight time, which you seem to confirm.

You can indeed use them for FPV the signal is taken from the mini usb on the GoPro and fed via the gimbal to the 5.8ghz transmitter to a black pearl receiver on mounted on my RC

Thanks I was referring to the GoPro taking power from the flight battery therefore impacting flight time, which you seem to confirm.

On a new battery the flight time is almost 17 minutes from starting the motors to landing with 15% left. The GoPro does use power from the P2's battery but not enough to make a big difference in flight time. By adding more junk to your craft will decrease the flight time faster then the GoPro will.

Last edited:
Good to know the power consumption is minimal then. No junk on my bird just enough parts to do the job :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20