Battery life in times used??

Reaction score
I have 4 batteries and cycle through them evenly. I would like to know how long a battery is good for before it needs replaced. I would rather replace the battery before it's bad than flying and lose the bird and battery due to it being bad. Any recommendations or good maintenance practices for the battery would help too.

I would like to be proactive versus reactive.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ok for one, set your lipos to auto discharge at a sooner rather than later setting, such as 1-5 days vs 5-10 days, this will help keep them healthy so that if you forget about them being fully charged for a few days they will automatically discharge down to storage voltage so that's one hint. Another thing that helps is always allowing the battery to sit/rest, (cool) before charging again after your done flying, even if my battery is only a little warm, I still allow it to rest for about 20-30 min before charging it back up again. This is much easier on the cells of the pack and doesn't stress them. Another thing to do that ppl say helps is every 20 cycles or so bring the battery's down to about 8% and then charge it back up again.. Not sure if there is any scientific proof of this helping or not but I can tell you it won't hurt it.. Also always store your battery's at around 50-70 degrees, many ppl think putting them in a freezer is good, well it's not , the lipos can actually freeze and it can damage the cells, so you don't want them too cold, but also don't want them in the sun or higher temps or humidity as well.

Also if you buy a venom aftermarket charge cord with an aftermarket pro charger, you can charge these battery's manually at a lower amp setting. The stock charger is pretty high, I charge my batts on my own charger and when I have time to burn I usually set them at .5 to 3amps, .5 if it's over night, and if I know I won't be using it for a few hours or so I'll charge it at just 1amp or 2amps.. Charging at a lower amperage is easier on the battery cells, also it tops them off much better this way then the stock dji chargers do. You can look a lot of this up online search "lipo safty tips" on google there is all kinds of stuff on the net about this kinda stuff.

Also I have heard these lipos last about 150-300 charges but have heard of ppl getting a lot more.. It's all really on the way you take care of them and treat them.

Don't worry about the battery just dying mid flight.. More than likely when the lipo is starting to die you will see tell tail signs, such as maybe you fully charged the batt this morning, but when you checked it at night the battery voltage dropped pretty dramaticly, this could be a sign of damaged cell/s or a dying battery. Another way to tell is that the battery's just don't have as much fly time anymore, If your still getting a good 18+ min of flight then more than likely the battery is pretty healthy, if your getting all a sudden less that 18 or 15min run time then you know the batt is dying.. Another good thing to look at is to check your batt cells when flying, watch each cell as you lean into the throttle and if you see one cell drop dramatically more than the others.. Consistently, then you know the pack most likely has a bad cell and it's prolly on its way out.

Usually lipos just won't quit mid flight on you with out some sort of tell tale sign before it gives up..and when you see that sign you'll know it and will know soemthing ain't right and will bring the drone down before anytbing happends

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sparky1963
TKS NBB- great info and I'll start working on some of the battery recommendations to help the battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You should get at least 100 charges from a battery if you take care of them. So, consider each flight costs approximately 1 dollar to fly, since batteries cost about $100

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers