Battery life decrease when using blade guards?

Reaction score
I've been using a stock Phantom 3 Pro with Phantom 2 blade guards (they fit ok and was what bhphoto had when I ordered my drone).

However, I was getting ~11-13 minute battery life!?! It's been windy a bunch where I'm at though, but still. I could always see the guards dip into my video when going full speed; sometimes the guards tip would be half way into the video.

So I decided I'd try these carbon fiber blades, but this time ditched the guards (since I've flown 20-30 times now). I couldn't believe the increase in battery life at over 18 minutes of flight time (landed with ~18% battery left too) with light wind.

Then I decided to try the stock blades and got a little over 17 minutes after the wind died down.

Any thoughts? Have others noticed variances in battery life when using guards?

I've been using a stock Phantom 3 Pro with Phantom 2 blade guards (they fit ok and was what bhphoto had when I ordered my drone).

However, I was getting ~11-13 minute battery life!?! It's been windy a bunch where I'm at though, but still. I could always see the guards dip into my video when going full speed; sometimes the guards tip would be half way into the video.

So I decided I'd try these carbon fiber blades, but this time ditched the guards (since I've flown 20-30 times now). I couldn't believe the increase in battery life at over 18 minutes of flight time (landed with ~18% battery left too) with light wind.

Then I decided to try the stock blades and got a little over 17 minutes after the wind died down.

Any thoughts? Have others noticed variances in battery life when using guards?
There may be some slight differences-- wind speed is the major factor and those CF props don't flex like the stock plastic, so the will definitely help the flight time.. If you are flying against the wind with prop guards roll the camera down a tad to take those out of the picture. I don't use the prop guards when I am shooting video, but they have there use when you are flying low and or in tight conditions with tree trunks sign posts and the like. Also if you happen to land on an uneven surface and the Phantom tips without the prop guards, you will damage them.

Of course there will be less, you are adding a little weight but mostly wind resistance. I only lose about 1-2 minutes with prop guards depending on how far I go (more distance more wind resistance). I only use them in the park and around people.

Of course there will be less, you are adding a little weight but mostly wind resistance. I only lose about 1-2 minutes with prop guards depending on how far I go (more distance more wind resistance). I only use them in the park and around people.

I was wondering this too I seem to only get about 18 minutes I don't fly it till the battery is at 10% I normally land with about 30% left but this only gives me about 13-15 minutes. However like the chap said above I have been saved now with the tip over if it wasn't for the guards my props would be destroyed.

Quick question so the CF props worth it then ?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437893019.811124.jpg

Never used CF props, to dangerous, if they strike anything they can shatter, sending shards flying off in numerous directions. To me the little bit of extra performance is not worth the risk. Besides I am sure DJI used the prop material they did for a reason.

What app are you using for the flight record? I'll give it a try and post a comparison.

I was wondering this too I seem to only get about 18 minutes I don't fly it till the battery is at 10% I normally land with about 30% left but this only gives me about 13-15 minutes. However like the chap said above I have been saved now with the tip over if it wasn't for the guards my props would be destroyed.

Quick question so the CF props worth it then ?

View attachment 25823

Cool. I formatted my flight recorder, so I can't post screenshots of the flight path. However, the summary data is cached to my Tab S 8.4. I just synced everything to the cloud.

I see my old flight times without guards varied from 11 minutes to 17 minutes. Interestingly, when the batteries were newer, I saw flight times around 16-17 minutes with the guards!?! I'm not sure if the extra minute I saw with the carbon blades is the blades, flight path or what. Seems a lot of risk and $36 in blades just to gain less than a minute...

It has definitely been windy here lately though, and I've only had my bird for less than a month so I don't have a lot of data to go on. Also, I switched my ROM to CM 12.1 on 7/11 so I don't have data before that. 47 flights since 7/11/15; I think I might have an addiction problem.

Last edited:
Yes I agree in getting flights in the region of 17 mins first 10 flights only. Don't really want to take the guards off though.

Rule of thumb is that you lose 1 second of flight time for every extra gram of weight. I believe that the guards weight 90 grams so a loss of 90 seconds flight time is about right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie