Battery issue led to my first crash...also some rookie tips.

Reaction score
Greeting everyone,

This is my first post. Sad that I crashed my drone for the first time after about 20-30 flights. let me start out with my specs: Phantom 2, HD-3D gimbal, HdHero3 Black+, Fat Shark 600mw transmitter and Predator V2 goggles, mini iOSD.

I started having issues with the charger. I knew all three of my batteries were getting low. Tried plugging them into a charger and nothing would happen. No lights on batteries, charger light just stayed green. I decided to just let one sit for an hour plugged in hoping it would get a charge, then took it out for a test flight. Took off and after two minutes the auto return kicked in, except it didn't land on the flat piece of ground it took off from, landed on a 20 degree slope about 10 feet away. It was my fault for taking off so close to a sloped surface; it was my first time that the auto return home feature had kicked in and I had assumed it was going to land EXACTLY where it took off. I hope no one else makes that rookie mistake. Needless to say the landing caused the phantom to tip over destroying two of the props (it did have a soft landing at least so no structural damage). I put my goggles on to see how much battery life it had and it was 15 percent. Obviously the battery didn't charge after sitting there plugged in for an hour.

Moral of the story...make sure when you connect the battery to the charger, the battery lights up and the LED light on the charger turns RED. Wait for the LED on the charger to turn GREEN or your battery is not fully charged, or not charged at all. Two of my batteries started charging again after the crash. my third still won't begin charging, hopefully it will start working someday.

***also a tip for GoPro users using the H3-3D gimbal. Make sure you power off the camera BEFORE turning off the phantom. I did it the other way and the camera got stuck in limbo. The phantom was completely powered off and the camera still had a red light showing power. It was completey unresponsive; it had power but wasn't really on. The only way to fix it was by removing the camera from the gimbal (which I couldn't do till a few days later since I didn't have the proper allen wrench on me). Eventually it lost power but would not respond until the internal batter has been reset.

Re: Battery issue led to my first crash...also some rookie t

Welcome
Have you tried to power up the battery when it's on the charger ?
Sounds like bad charger . That is not a rookie mistake these things happen :D

Re: Battery issue led to my first crash...also some rookie t

That was the first thing I tried. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I tried powering on the battery while it was plugged into the charger. It would just keep cycling the charge amount but wouldn't gain any new charge. It seems from my current experience that if you plug the battery into the charger and it doesn't start the recharge cycle process immediately by lighting up the LED's on the battery, it won't charge.

New update: I put the batter that wouldn't charge in the Phantom 2 and let it sit with the power on for about an hour. Powered it down and put the battery in the charger and it started charging. Looks like the batteries are a little bit finicky. At least I can recognize now when a battery isn't going to charge and I don't have to waste my time hoping I will get lucky.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj