Battery Help P3Pro

Reaction score
Hello All

So I have a Phantom 3 pro, noticed some slight wear on my batteries, ran all 3 at a long shoot the other day and I would say one of these is junk.
It must be rubbing or something.
Don't wana buy new ones just to have them ruined.
I think I can put electrical tape over 2 of them the third must be disposed.
Anyone see this before?
Do I need to send it in?
Batteries snap in and don't appear to move around.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• batts.jpg
    batts.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 434
I would scrap that battery. Not worth losing your phantom.
That batter is gonzo
Any idea what the deal is? Are they rubbing?
The other 2 show signs of the silver wrap cover wearing, I was gonna put electrical tape in the spot but I would like to cure the problem.

With that sort of mechanical damage it should be fairly obvious what is going on inside the battery compartment to cause it. The batteries are probably fine providing the cells have t been damaged, which they likley haven’t given the silver wrap hasn’t worn completely through.

Yeah something is clearly rubbing against the battery..but what? anything protruding or broken inside the plastic battery holder?

Yeah something is clearly rubbing against the battery..but what? anything protruding or broken inside the plastic battery holder?
Nothing at all can rub, there is however a nice size computer chip above it, kinda looks like a processor, What are the odds of that heating up and actually melting the batteries in that area versus rubbing?
I sent a pic and email to dji, never dealt with them in this capacity before, hope to hear soon

I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. I just peered into my P3P and there's nothing there at first glance. However, looking closer, it seems the plastic at the top is slightly bowed down at the far end. What would cause that plastic to bend like that? Was it cast that way? Is it being compressed/squeezed when it was assembed? I don't have any problems with mine atm. You might put a drop of salad oil on the battery next time you insert it. You also might consider a careful light swipe with a dremel grinding stone to dull the sharp edge of that bowed piece.

Looks like heat damage and not from the battery ... but something inside battery compartment.

For me - the batterys are all OK ... the foil is not punctured and plastic case looks OK ... the black is from battery compartment.

I would basically want service people to check that - I would not muck about inside there ....

If the P3P is well out of warranty and you don't mind opening up the shell .... I would look under the main central board once opened up ---- there may be something to see ...

Nigel

Looks like heat damage and not from the battery ... but something inside battery compartment.

For me - the batterys are all OK ... the foil is not punctured and plastic case looks OK ... the black is from battery compartment.

I would basically want service people to check that - I would not muck about inside there ....

If the P3P is well out of warranty and you don't mind opening up the shell .... I would look under the main central board once opened up ---- there may be something to see ...

Nigel

cd7102bd86fba0ef17dbd09b88f932fe.jpg
e1e716077cae23d10928b1fe28fe92ff.jpg

What is your take on this battery sir? This happened when it impacted the ground from 30 ft.

cd7102bd86fba0ef17dbd09b88f932fe.jpg
e1e716077cae23d10928b1fe28fe92ff.jpg

What is your take on this battery sir? This happened when it impacted the ground from 30 ft.

Without it being in my hands - I cannot say.

You can actually open the case and see what condition it is in ... generally if foil is not punctured - then cells often function OK even when 'crunched' end.

Youtube has various videos how to open the case. Just be careful not to short any contacts on the board or puncture the foil of the battery.

Nigel

Reactions: Newbieguy
Well, I didn't take it apart but I did take it outside and put it in on the charger it appears to have taken a full charge.

Last edited:
I have used and still have LiPo's that others would 'bin' .... and they work perfect. But I do scrutinise them carefully before deciding to continue use.

Quite often damage is purely cosmetic ... outer cover split, slight concertina of a corner etc.

BUT LiPo's are not batterys to fool around with. If in doubt - 'bin' it.

If you are only worried about flight use - but otherwise OK with it ... then use for bench testing / updating FW etc. instead of using a good flight pack.

Nigel

Hello All

So I have a Phantom 3 pro, noticed some slight wear on my batteries, ran all 3 at a long shoot the other day and I would say one of these is junk.
It must be rubbing or something.
Don't wana buy new ones just to have them ruined.
I think I can put electrical tape over 2 of them the third must be disposed.
Anyone see this before?
Do I need to send it in?
Batteries snap in and don't appear to move around.

Thanks in advance

After flying with these batteries, did you have to pull hard to get them out? It could be from a swelling battery when it gets hot during flight. I had an older battery swell inside and when I pulled it out (hard to pull out) I saw it was swelling on the sides. I tossed the battery at Best Buy because I have read on this forum that if your battery is swelling, it is past it's usable flight time. I'm guessing in your situation that each time it swells and the more times you pull it out, it is rubbing on the upper or lower insides of the battery compartment which rubs the battery skin raw. Hope this helps.

Looks they are damaged on 2 sides.
How do you store and/or transport your batteries?
I think that's where the problems is.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl