Battery firmware update question

Reaction score
FW 1.6 addressed issues previously discussed in other threads, one of them included an update to the Phantoms battery. I recall the order to complete such updating was to first update the Phantom followed by the installation of each battery. My question is whether or not the battery is updated by the firmware installed on the Phantom or do the batteries update directly from the bin file on the SD card?

The batteries update from the bin file on the SD card, so you'll need to leave it I there as you swap the batteries to get updated.

Well as far as I understood, it's directly from the SD card but it's the same bin file for 1.6 on the phantom.

The phantom has to be updated first and then all your batteries.

I guess if you wanted the phantom on 1 previous firmware you could update everything and then downgrade just the phantom if you wanted

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Many format/erase their SD Cards after updating therefore, new batteries purchased after initial updating won't get this important FW update unless of course they remember to download the software and update accordingly.

Many format/erase their SD Cards after updating therefore, new batteries purchased after initial updating won't get this important FW update unless of course they remember to download the software and update accordingly.
It's straight forward fellows, as follows,,
1) Update the bird using the latest bin first, as the battery that will be used for this update will be updated.
2)Remove SD card and insert into CPU. Open txt file and verify first success. Delete said text file from SD card but leave the bin file.
3)Re insert SD card into phantom. Install second battery for the update process. Turn on Phantom and then only the battery update will resume. The battery update only will be rather quick and under 5 minutes.
4)Always remove the SD chip and repeat the process above. The txt file will have to be removed for each battery update.

Good luck!

The txt file will have to be removed for each battery update.

I don't think it has to. I updated the Phantom, and then swapped in all of my batteries one after another. They all updated fine without removing the text file.

As a good practice, one should not remove the bin file from the root of the SD card. In case SD card is updated, copy the bin file again to it.

This is the bin file also responsible to update battery FW if it's not already done.

It's very tricky if someone has downgraded the P3 FW to a lower version, in that case one should not save the bin file 1.6 to SD card. Alternatively send your batteries to one who has latest FW who can update your batteries :)

Reactions: Drone Master
I don't think it has to. I updated the Phantom, and then swapped in all of my batteries one after another. They all updated fine without removing the text file.
It is said that this is the proper way of updating by DJI and thru my experience. However if you are seeing all the battery update results all on one txt. Then I suppose you are good to go or are you? Plug them all in and verify they are updated in the about section of the go app.

I updated my P3A from 1.41 which was on it when I got it a few days ago to 1.6. Extracted the .bin form the zip file from DJI. Updated the P3A and the battery that was installed. RC was happy and everything was up to date. When I installed my 2nd battery it said my camera needed a firmware update? My camera? So thinking about it I deleted the .txt success file from the original P3A upgrade uSD card that did that and the original battery. I then turned back on the P3A and it upgraded the second battery. Just took a minute if that. Shut all down and turned back on and now my RC is happy with either battery. I was just confused when it said my camera (not battery) needed a firmware upgrade.

So I'm new to the Phantom world. I got a P3S for Xmas and did the 1.6 fw update with no issues. I never thought about saving that file and I have formatted the sd card several times. Now I'm thinking about another battery. What should I do about the update? Will the app recognize it needs the update and I can download the file again?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I'm new to the Phantom world. I got a P3S for Xmas and did the 1.6 fw update with no issues. I never thought about saving that file and I have formatted the sd card several times. Now I'm thinking about another battery. What should I do about the update? Will the app recognize it needs the update and I can download the file again?

Yes! The app will tell you the New battery is not up to date on start up. Just have the latest bin file on hand..

Last edited:
Yes! The app will tell you the battery is not up to date on start up. Just have the latest bin file on hand..
That's what I'm saying that I deleted the 1.6 fw update off the sd card not thinking I would need it again down the road. Will I be able to download it again.

Download the bin file again and save it on SD card root. Whenever you plug a battery with old FW, you will hear that gimbal updates the battery when ever you switch on the battery. It would take about two minutes to update the battery FW. Gimbal led will turn red green until all done. At that time it will be solid green.

Reactions: Drone Master
That's what I'm saying that I deleted the 1.6 fw update off the sd card not thinking I would need it again down the road. Will I be able to download it again.

Just go to DJI's site and then support for your quad..
www.dji.com/

Alternatively send your batteries to one who has latest FW who can update your batteries :)
Has someone used 1.6 batteries in birds with 1.4 firmware. I suppose they work fine, but will the new battery firmware also "help" on birds with firmware 1.4 or lower? Does it matter?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4