Battery Failure Crash

Reaction score
According to the DJI app I've flown my Phantom 3 Pro 66 different flights. I've never had a problem until today. I have three batteries. The battery I used today had 3 bars charged and according to the app when it was warming up, it was at 60%. I also saw where the battery had been charged a total of 10 times. All of this I looked at before taking off. I have read the horror stories on here about batteries not being property inserted and crashes occuring so I always make sure the battery is secure and insert it firmly and tug on it to make sure it's not going to come out. I flew from my back yard to 319 ft high and when I was 700 feet from my house, less than 1 full minute, my app tells me "Battery Error" and then nothing. I had to walk down the road and luckily my neighbor came out and told me that it crashed in his back yard. Thankfully none of his property was damaged or anyone hurt but I'm more than pissed off. I've had it since June. I was able to pull up the flight log on my Nexus 7 tablet but when I plug it into my computer it doesn't show in the flight data file folder so I can't pull it. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like but I can't pull the actual log. Has anyone had any luck with DJI replacing or repairing it? Any suggestions on how much it will cost to fix? Is it even worth it?

20150803_194811.jpg 20150803_194827.jpg 20150803_194952.jpg Screenshot_2015-08-03-20-22-20.png

Yes. I sent in my drone after severely damaging and severing my camera from the gimbal. The whole process took about 3-4 weeks and cost $215 to repair (including shipping to and from!).
I'm still not certain if they actually fixed the camera or swapped out the whole camera/gimbal unit. I'm pretty happy with my experience as I was expecting to pay well over $500

Jeremy/CaneCop:

Do you fly professionally?? I run a UAS company and our flight manual dictates that we never take off, unless we have have a fully charged battery and our maintenance log keeps track of the volumes of batteries we have and use every day. Always at 98-100% for a flight. Do you check the cells to make sure that they are all within .01 or .02 of one another. If you had a dying cell, which sounds like it... then the crash was unavoidable. Also, invest $30 bucks and get the carbon fiber gimbal guard that attaches to the landing gear. That would have prevented most of your damage. Reach out to DJI... send them the logs and get your UAS fixed.

I would also like to add never fly with half empty pack. Was this pack auto discharged?

Please contact DJI and send them the data. You should be able to sync the flight and they will have most of it. They might request the craft logs as well.

Ken

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1