"battery error" msg on DJI App

Reaction score
Had Phamton 2-3 months.. batteries charged over 50 times (2x batteries... soo 100+ flghts)
Anyways never had this before...

Was flying around and when battery got to 13-14 minutes left for a second a message popped up "battery error" on the DJI App... wasn't sure if it was battery or comms or what.. so lowered it abit.. but kept flying and no issues and message didn't come back. Battery indicator working 100% as well.

Anyways so when first battery flat had a bit of break, then put the second battery in.... again when it got to 13-14 min mark it said "battery error"... I'm sure of it as I was watching screen as it popped up... message was only on the screen for a second... Lowered her down and let it hover, again all perfect... after 5 mins went back to normal flying and all was good.. battery indicator.. power levels etc etc.. no issues.

Only thing that have changed are

a) I got 9450 props.. but had like 8 batteries worth of flights since and no errors popped up.
b) this new firmware upgrade that was auto pushed when I opened up assistant software.

I have checked both the power and data connectors for the batteries (on the Phantom) and all secure.. Took case off, no lose wires or anything to be concerned about...

Anyone have any ideas.. perhaps firmware update has some issue... just bizzare the error pops up at 13-14 min left mark... instead of randomly.. and yeah just pops up once on each battery..

What else should I check/do ??? Don't want it crashing... just bought a new carry case lol :p

thanks folks

P.S sorry for the 2 threads in 24 hours :/

Yeah have done that thanks :)

Just strange it happens on both batteries at same time (with 13-14min remaining)... and if I wasn't watching the screen at that exact second I would never of known..

in fact its posibly happened before and I missed it as I didn't see screen... however Usually I like to watch both at same time... well as much as possible.. figured I would of seen it if it happened prior to today.. but who knows...

Next time see if it says something to the effect of Discharge Warning. It happens occasionally when climbing at high speeds because the battery is draining faster than normal. If it's this message, you really don't have much to worry about.

I just read something somewhere that said this new update with the battery wants you to only use a certain model battery now. Take what I said here as hearsay cause I didn't get this info from something legit.

I do want you to know that anytime you get a warning bring your quad home and get it figured out. I had a warning that I was ignoring, and shortly after the quad went into failsafe mode and began to descend. I could not get around it other then holding the lever up to maintain altitude. I was 1600ft from homepoint which really made it suck.

Re: "battery error" msg on DJI App

I got this error below a few days ago flying with a battery that had been in a crash a few months back. Dunno if this is helpful.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416788830.436479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416788830.436479.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,903
Frank ya fully understand that.. did bring it down immediatly to hover inches over ground. Was just bevause msg happened at same point witg both batteries I was more confident.

Need to load up assistant sw and investigate cells etc
.. but ya its how it happened to both batteries which is what is tjrowing me off..

Jwegner: read your thread.. is your error constant? Or just pops up randomly?

Mine was just on for a second... not sure what it even said... i just saw battery..

Would be great if DJI App kept meaning logs...It doesnt really seem to does that? Like I cant go back and see any errors I may have missed.

Raining tonight but will do some checks in assistant software and nxt fligjt over will just be hovering and watching screen/phantom 100%.. might even get another device to record my phone/app to ensure I can actually read the message.

it was quite hot yesterday.. but not ttthat hot.. and nice breeze.. so totally confused. Wpuld make sense if I had constant msg.

Its always something grrr!!! Will clean terminals but really doubt its them.

same as mine, on my old battery (almost a year) just pop up, and when I look into dji app (battery history, on the record 1 it said discharged. so I remove the bat from the bird, and discharged until it cannot fly. (yesterday)

today I will try to charge it again.

Havnt done any testing yet.. real reason is if error comes back on both batteries i am gonna be annoyed... lol..

Seems like the correlation of the forced upgrade over the weekend and 2 batteries erroring at same point in time is pretty high....

Shall see how we go tonight... whats the discharge warning in history mean exactly? I havnt checked if I had that.. but just curious.. i normally fly.. come home wait few hours to cool down then charge em both so there ready to fly approx 24 hrs later if its a weekday..usually always starts at 98 or 99% full..

Moving onto my battery error now.. got assistant loaded up... 94% charge and 84% for percentage of life.... what exactly does percentage of life mean ?
Its got 83% life left ? Whatever that is...... Or i'll only get 83% the performance of one that is at 100% ???

Discharged 51 times... 21c temp... all 3 cells are about 4136mv.. full capacity says 5014mah.. and design is 5200.
That sound ok ??? The 83% life is concerning me... let me try other battery now.

*edit* tried second battery, basically same figures but only 45 discharges and 85% percentage of life...

All normal ??

Anyone know what the percentage of life means?
Been searching, can't find much definitive info...

Also..can other people confirm.. when there battery gets to 15% it will drop/ "auto land" ??... I have disabled all battery/autoland features in DJI APP on phone and assistant...
but ya soon as it hits 15% it wants to "auto land" verrry quickly heh.. then motors shut off.. you can start em back up but it doesn't have much power.

Any other tips on best battery charging/discharging practises are welcome :)?

justin00 said:

Also..can other people confirm.. when there battery gets to 15% it will drop/ "auto land" ??... I have disabled all battery/autoland features in DJI APP on phone and assistant...
but ya soon as it hits 15% it wants to "auto land" verrry quickly heh.. then motors shut off.. you can start em back up but it doesn't have much power.

As I remember from the beginning they told us the batteries were only good for X number of charge cycles and would need replaced. I always thought that was just a way to stay in our pockets. Now I have a the feeling that what will happen is people will start turning the volume down on their devices to keep from hearing the constant warnings going off per the batteries.

On the 15% drop, they will go into failsafe and start descent. But, that is as long as you have that option selected in the dji app. I do have mine set for it which is to return home on low battery instead of landing. If I was doing distance record flights, or trying to reach the moon, I would have that option disabled and just deal with the consequences like before this feature existed.

Thanks Frank. I have the options all disabled which I would of hoped would of stopped the 'drop' at 15%.
I usually stop at 25% so never have any problems with it landing miles away from me, just annoying if I could be getting an extra minute or two, but the firmware isn't letting me or something..

Me again... Looks like cleaning the 2 data terminals did the trick.. they were covered in a little grease.. I had been using that special grease stuff to "mod" the batteries so you can take them out without needing to apply 800lb of force lol... Only used a tiny but of the grease stuff but obviously it was enough to contaminate the terminals after yanking out batteries 100+ times :)

4 flights now and now battery errors or anything like that... wierd error, but eeh seems to be fixed.
Shall still monitor it, but as per other thread.. happy again!

flyNfrank said:
justin00 said:

As I remember from the beginning they told us the batteries were only good for X number of charge cycles and would need replaced. I always thought that was just a way to stay in our pockets. Now I have a the feeling that what will happen is people will start turning the volume down on their devices to keep from hearing the constant warnings going off per the batteries.

On the 15% drop, they will go into failsafe and start descent. But, that is as long as you have that option selected in the dji app. I do have mine set for it which is to return home on low battery instead of landing. If I was doing distance record flights, or trying to reach the moon, I would have that option disabled and just deal with the consequences like before this feature existed.

When my lowbattery failsafe engaged to ( Return to Home) , I couldn't control the quad when it close to landing....
Is there a way for me to gain control?

I tested the RTH via the s1 switch and I can take over control while in rth at anytime.

I'm using the ilovecoffee android upgraded app The alarm warning comes on in low battery .

Wierd problem I have now... It started doing it after I cleaned terminals and the first forced upgrade a week ago (the upgradeo around 28/11/2014).. can't tell what is the cause..

Sometimes when I put either battery in after its fully charged, in the DJI App I get a message sayig non DJI battery. To fix I pull out the battery and put it back in... Every time I put the battery in (before and after it errors, basically everytime..) I make sure its nice and snug/secure... So not sure why its suddenly working.. The 2 data pins are nice and clean looking.. not loose either, so they look pretty secure... and yeah to fix I literally just yank out battery and slap it back in.. It doesn't do it every time.. just maybe 1/5 of the times I put in a battery... Took off lid and checked as many wires/connectors as I could get to, focusing in on the ones in the battery compartment.. doesn't seem like anything is loose... just odd though I was getting the original battery error, well only twice, I had the error.. and now occasionally get this non DJI battery error.......

I'm thinking its due to the 2 forced upgrades which came out last weekend, and the weekend ago.....

Anyways not a major issue, but figured I'd put it out there to see if anyone else suddenly has the same error.

Thanks

Reactions: ChrisM-NY
Hmmm this one battery still.. sometimes intermittantly says.. invalid battery.. or communication error... reinserted sometimes fixs... sprayed it with contact cleaner and fixed again... so obviously something up... other battery I *think* is fine 100%... Don't think its terminals on phantom as other battery seems 100% ok each time.

anyways is this something I should be concerned with... power for each cell seems fine, 50-60 discharges... flies fine.. just the occsional invalid dji battery message..

Seems to be correlated with the updates (not 3.08) but the 2 forced ones after that.

Any ideas?

Bloody hell... both batteries are screwed.. it says "invalid battery" for both.. reinserted a few times.. can't get either to work now...

the gps is still showing sats, and camera is working, so its getting power.. it just doesn't want to use the batteries.

Does anyone have any ideas???

I think the batteries are still within 3 month warranty period so I will speak to place I got it from.. but in the mean time.. anything I can try ???

Sprayed contact cleaner on the 2 power terminals and 2 data and working now.. Maybe coincidence...as its randomly started working at other times.. maybe due to the cleaner..

I don't understand though.. all 4 terminals look perfectly clean.. nice and gold.. doesn't look like anything loose...

???

*edit* Is it the 2 smaller pins that controlls the "smart" battery part, right??... So the issue must be something to do that them, probably?? As the camera/satellites show up on APP...its getting power, so assuming the 2 large connectors are fine. ??

I still think this might be due to the 2 forced firmware updates.... contact cleaner just coincidence... thats my gut feeling....
Been searching and that problem seems to be happening to alot of people, for a few years now... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Me again :/

What is the best way to access the battery compartment so I can give it a full/proper inspection ? Do I need to strip the hole thing apart or is there a shortcut method.. i.e just undo a couple of screws some where to access it ?

have taken lid off many times.. .but never accessed the battery compartment..

thanks again

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl