Battery Error: Damaged Cell Warning

Joined
Apr 3, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
I am getting battery error with one of my batteries. I drained the battery entirely; recharged again (repeated same process few times when it didn't help) am I'm still getting the same warning. And as you can see percentage of life is %97.

It's one of the old batteries with round connectors. There is no damage, it's only a bit swollen. Still very easy to install and remove.

Should I take this warning seriously? Is there any way I can fix it?

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • battery-01.jpg
    battery-01.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 665
  • battery-02.PNG
    battery-02.PNG
    288.4 KB · Views: 999

dirkclod

Moderator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Joined
May 9, 2014
Messages
15,431
Reaction score
9,322
Age
66
Location
Amory Mississippi
Yea I would take it seriously . Just had this here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35064#p323549 and just sent it to see if I could get it replaced . I would take mine out after trying what I had been told might fix it and would just hover and it would at a certain point just drop voltage real fast . Yours way fresher than mine as it did show 80 discharges but just the same that's way to soon !
 
Joined
Nov 22, 2014
Messages
362
Reaction score
15
Location
860
ciguli said:
I am getting battery error with one of my batteries. I drained the battery entirely; recharged again (repeated same process few times when it didn't help) am I'm still getting the same warning. And as you can see percentage of life is %97.

It's one of the old batteries with round connectors. There is no damage, it's only a bit swollen. Still very easy to install and remove.

Should I take this warning seriously? Is there any way I can fix it?

Thanks


yes. unless you like the feeling of possibly dropping from the sky.

yes buy a new battery.

no sarcasm intended but cmon the battery is swollen and thats the main power source, and the software is warning you their is a problem. you don't need to be on the 5 o'clock news because your drone fell from the sky and landed in a nuclear power plant reactor and shut it down. ;)
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
capodrone81 said:
yes. unless you like the feeling of possibly dropping from the sky.

yes buy a new battery.

no sarcasm intended but cmon the battery is swollen and thats the main power source, and the software is warning you their is a problem. you don't need to be on the 5 o'clock news because your drone fell from the sky and landed in a nuclear power plant reactor and shut it down. ;)


I could have not said that it is swollen. It's really tiny bit. I am sure most other batteries without warning are so much worse than mine.

@dirkclod: You are right. I experienced sudden voltage drop before. It was around 50% and suddenly dropped to 10%. Thanks God my Phantom was close. When this happened, I had no warning. I guess it was before the battery firmware update.

This is really sad. I just checked my other old battery; same warning. Now I 'm left with only one working battery :/
 
Joined
Feb 16, 2014
Messages
487
Reaction score
148
Location
Houston Tx.
Have you cleaned your battery connectors? The little pins that touch the battery in the Phantom? Those pins are data pins that communicate with the battery electronics. A bad connection can give several types of errors. It's worth a shot here as well as being a good practice in general.

I had a "Battery Communication Error" once and moments later it was falling from 80' with no power! After cleaning the connectors (and repairing the bird) it has been perfect.

Geo
 

msinger

Approved Vendor
Joined
Oct 30, 2014
Messages
31,445
Reaction score
10,536
Location
Harrisburg, PA (US)
Website
PhantomHelp.com
ciguli, you can clean the battery contacts with rubbing alcohol. DeoXit cleaner spray is better though because it also protects the contacts.
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2014
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
Geoelectro said:
Have you cleaned your battery connectors? The little pins that touch the battery in the Phantom? Those pins are data pins that communicate with the battery electronics. A bad connection can give several types of errors. It's worth a shot here as well as being a good practice in general.

I had a "Battery Communication Error" once and moments later it was falling from 80' with no power! After cleaning the connectors (and repairing the bird) it has been perfect.

Geo

I've never cleaned them, but I don't think it will help. My new battery works fine, no warnings. Only 2 old batteries give this warning. But I'll clean the pins just to make sure...
 
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
1,881
Reaction score
169
Location
Upstate NY
try cleaning the pins and pads and also see what the actually cell volts say after a full charge and after a full discharge. as well as how many mah its got in it and the full volts of all 3 cells.

But the remaining battery life % has absolutely nothing to do with if a battery is good or not and all that number tells you is how many charge/discharge cycles the battery has had on it regardless of its health. Every 3 charges the remaining health tics down 1% I dont even know what dji even had it being there already is a number to tell you how many charge cycles its had on it. and its very misleading being it dont count or tell you any thing at all about the real health of the battery.
 
Joined
Apr 7, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
41
I had the same issue/error i.e. damaged cell etc.. with a Phantom 2 battery. 90% life, 32 discharging time, cell voltage fairly consistent (4144mV, 4145mV and 4136mV at 88% charge) nothing to indicate any issue with the cells themselves. The battery wasn’t showing any swelling either (I have had swollen batteries in the past, some massively yet never had that message). I did a thorough charge but the error remained.. Very frustrated, decided to open the battery and replace the top board with one that I had salvaged from a scarily swollen one. Quick job, cut the wires, swapped the top board and soldered the wires back together (don’t try soldering the board itself). The error is gone. Happy day
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
140,614
Messages
1,449,376
Members
102,416
Latest member
K.J.