Battery Drain Question

Reaction score
Bought two new batteries recently from amazon, from a reputable seller and they are DJI OEM not knock offs. Fyling with one today, and its around 52F(11C), 52F(11C) wind chill, and only a 5MPH(5KPH) wind speed, and noticed something weird with one of the batteries. Flew for around 9 minutes, and the battery on the FPV screen was showing 11.3V 50%. All of a sudden, didn't do a single thing radical, just hovering, and flying back and forth not even full throttle and the percentage jumped from 50% down to 13% so landed the drone immediately. Do you think there is something wrong with this battery? Should I see about getting a replacement from Amazon? Currently charging to full then going to see what the battery cell levels are at.

Thanks!

Bought two new batteries recently from amazon, from a reputable seller and they are DJI OEM not knock offs. Fyling with one today, and its around 52F(11C), 52F(11C) wind chill, and only a 5MPH(5KPH) wind speed, and noticed something weird with one of the batteries. Flew for around 9 minutes, and the battery on the FPV screen was showing 11.3V 50%. All of a sudden, didn't do a single thing radical, just hovering, and flying back and forth not even full throttle and the percentage jumped from 50% down to 13% so landed the drone immediately. Do you think there is something wrong with this battery? Should I see about getting a replacement from Amazon? Currently charging to full then going to see what the battery cell levels are at.

Thanks!

Check the model # on the battery is it PH2-5200mAh-11.1v or a 733496 5200 mAh-11.1v.

Reactions: afx
Check the model # on the battery is it PH2-5200mAh-11.1v or a 733496 5200 mAh-11.1v.
One battery is PH2-5200mAh-11.1V. While the ones I purchased are 733496-5200mAh-11.1V

Last edited:
OEM battery is PH2-5200mAh-11.1V. While the ones I purchased are 733496-5200mAh-11.1V

If those OEM stock which i doubt or really old stock. There are some aftermarket batteries out there using the same model numbers and unless you buying from a authorized dji dealer whether on amazon or ebay you have on idea if the product is OEM. I'd return it to amazon for a refund.

If those OEM stock which i doubt or really old stock. There are some aftermarket batteries out there using the same model numbers and unless you buying from a authorized dji dealer whether on amazon or ebay you have on idea if the product is OEM. I'd return it to amazon for a refund.
Gotcha. The dealer says they are an authorized dealer on there website, and on the DJI website. The 733496-5200mAh-11.1V is actually what came with the drone while the PH2-5200mAh-11.1V V2.0 is what I ordered off amazon from Rotor Logic.

Gotcha. The dealer says they are an authorized dealer on there website, and on the DJI website. The 733496-5200mAh-11.1V is actually what came with the drone while the PH2-5200mAh-11.1V V2.0 is what I ordered off amazon from Rotor Logic.

So which one drop from 50% to 13% and landed?

The 733496-5200mAh-11.1V which is the one that came with it

What were the full & current capacity readings on the fully charge battery. You cannot rely on voltage readings.
Battery Warning.jpg

And let me guess the one of them is a knock off by chance or two different versions?
There are 2 versions.
PH2-5200mah is a revised P2 battery (ver2).
What we don't know is if they are authentic or not. Send us pics of the actual battery and a battery screenshot from the phantom assist.

The other battery that came with the drone that is failing has a damaged cell and going to early auto landing. It is quite common for these batteries to fail before the 50cycle mark. I'm yet to see anyone hit the 300cycles as DJI promised.

The P2 batteries have a 3 month warranty.

There are 2 versions.
PH2-5200mah is a revised P2 battery (ver2).
What we don't know is if they are authentic or not. Send us pics of the actual battery and a battery screenshot from the phantom assist.

The other battery that came with the drone that is failing has a damaged cell and going to early auto landing. It is quite common for these batteries to fail before the 50cycle mark. I'm yet to see anyone hit the 300cycles as DJI promised.

The P2 batteries have a 3 month warranty.

I have both battery model numbers. The original 733496 5200 mAh and the new PH2-5200mAh all purchased from the same dealer and the new battery model is authentic.

I do have two original batteries bought back in March 2014 that I quit using this past October with 47 cycles because they were only good for 6 minutes flights. But the battery in the screen shot was purchase August 29, 2014 went bad in November. The only way to check these batteries is do so with the P2 software after every recharge. How many of us really take the time to do so?

I have both battery model numbers. The original 733496 5200 mAh and the new PH2-5200mAh all purchased from the same dealer and the new battery model is authentic.

I do have two original batteries bought back in March 2014 that I quit using this past October with 47 cycles because they were only good for 6 minutes flights. But the battery in the screen shot was purchase August 29, 2014 went bad in November. The only way to check these batteries is do so with the P2 software after every recharge. How many of us really take the time to do so?
Hehe gotcha. Yeah have the 733496 5200mAh and it has a bad 3rd cell.

vHhhz4S.png

Hehe gotcha. Yeah have the 733496 5200mAh and it has a bad 3rd cell.

vHhhz4S.png
So now you know why it drop so fast. Was that the new battery from amazon order? If it was I wonder how long they had it in stock.

So now you know why it drop so fast. Was that the new battery from amazon order? If it was I wonder how long they had it in stock.
Nope was actually the original order that came with the drone sadly.

Nope was actually the original order that came with the drone sadly.

If that battery was only cycled 2 actually. How old is it? Did you store that with a full charge and not use it for months? Of course there is no guaranty on how long it will take before a battery fails. But storing a lipo battery with a full charge for months will shorten its life so if do not intend it for for a week or so store it at 50 percent

If that battery was only cycled 2 actually. How old is it? Did you store that with a full charge and not use it for months? Of course there is no guaranty on how long it will take before a battery fails. But storing a lipo battery with a full charge for months will shorten its life so if do not intend it for for a week or so store it at 50 percent
Didn't buy it was a gift in October, don't know how long it sat since purchase, and haven't been able to fly it until recently, as I did not want to take the drone with me back to school. Flew it once, left it at a 48% charge.

Didn't buy it was a gift in October, don't know how long it sat since purchase, and haven't been able to fly it until recently, as I did not want to take the drone with me back to school. Flew it once, left it at a 48% charge.

Well things happen and that battery will need to be replaced as it's always nice to have more then one on hand.

Yup, ordered another two. Thanks Jason for your help.

There's no better way to check your batteries other than using the P2 software after charging them. Or discharging them to 50% when storing. This is what I use it's a car12v brake light assembly attached to P2 battery terminal. Doesn't take long to take it down to two bars
IMG_5631.jpg

Yeah I think I have the same issue. My battery would be at 100% then within 5 min it'll start dropping dramatically according to my FPV screen. Here's what my assistant software shows and I don't see any unusual things with this battery.

So the battery level threshold is clicked, at what point will the phantom automatically Go-Home?
upload_2016-1-9_5-46-16.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj