Battery door - not shutting

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with this door? I'm just using electrical tape to insure it stays closed but I hate literally band-aiding a problem.

After a lot of reading on this site and other sites I have seen this problem a few times . The quick fix was to take a match and heat up the tab on the door and bend it up just a little and hold it till it cools down . It should fix your problem . I had a different problem my 3rd party batteries had a lot of wire and was real hard to get it all stuffed in so I got a bigger door 18mm all is good now .

750r said:
After a lot of reading on this site and other sites I have seen this problem a few times . The quick fix was to take a match and heat up the tab on the door and bend it up just a little and hold it till it cools down . It should fix your problem . I had a different problem my 3rd party batteries had a lot of wire and was real hard to get it all stuffed in so I got a bigger door 18mm all is good now .

Thanks! Great idea! Now where did you get this bigger door from?

Lots of mods dictate wires coming out from behind the door, so some portholes have to be cut. That might solve the problem. Others use some Velcro strips to secure the door, as it can pop open during flight manuvers and a loose battery can bring you down suddenly.

My personal solution, intended to be temporary but works so well I haven't bothered with a better fix....so far....is a rubber band circling the bird at the level of the base of the landing gear and that I place right across the front of the door....which is where my LED light patch AND strobe light are affixed. The rubber band is at least midly flexible and will rebound rather than an all (closed) or nothing (wide open) door latch.

I will post the link when I get home but the name is shapeways.com they have a few sizes the stock door is 6mm . They make 12mm ,18mm and bigger plus a dual battery door but you have to do some modding to get 2 battery's in .

I quickly got tired of the door popping off in flight, so I eventually removed it and put a piece of Velcro in its place. Doesnt look as nice but it works amazingly well! It's also nice not having the door because sometimes I need to run my fpv cables to the battery also

+1 on the big battery door upgrade from maikelsdesign on Shapeways. Pricey for what it is, but hands down the best upgrade I ever bought for my Phantom (and that's saying something). Has paid for itself 50 times over in frustration savings alone. I have a variety of packs from the stock 2200's all the way to 2800, and some are a bit longer/shorter than others. With the "big" door you never have to worry about balance leads and power leads fitting in nicely. I glued a 3/8" thick piece of spongy foam rubber inside the door so that it keeps shorter batteries from sliding out while flexing easily to accommodate slightly longer ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic