Battery Discharge - Success

Reaction score
I have finally sat down and painstakingly am in the process of discharging all 6 of my LiPos(currently starting #3). Pain in the ***, but all my batteries have more than 39+ charges on them. Basically, I am turning on the phantom and controller, and letting it idle with the props on, givin it throttle CAREFULLY when it wants to die. Also held the phantom down at the very end and gave it full throttle till the battery finally showed 0%...

P.IT.A but it works! Anyone have a better way, please let me know!!

2505y6p.jpg

Yes I would like to know a better discharge method. I heard someone say he hooked a 12 volt light to a battery..not sure I want to run the motors under stress

AsiaFlyer said:
I need to do mine, best idea I have come up with is obviously get the battery as low as possible by flying it and then Gaffer Tape it to the kitchen floor and give it some throttle to drain the remaining charge, would be interested in other solutions.

why not just put some sandbag or weights or a brick across the landing skid to hold it down?

yawnalot29 said:
AsiaFlyer said:
I need to do mine, best idea I have come up with is obviously get the battery as low as possible by flying it and then Gaffer Tape it to the kitchen floor and give it some throttle to drain the remaining charge, would be interested in other solutions.

why not just put some sandbag or weights or a brick across the landing skid to hold it down?

Don't have a sand bag or a brick but I always have some Gaffa Tape ;)

Do it the safe way.....hook a 12v automotive head light to it. Why put all the extra wear on the motors?

For what I have read it is no good for lipo batteries to be completely drained.

I have a Venom charger (which also is a discharger) for my other RC stuff. It has a program built in for LiPO storage. Since I have one battery that has gone a little puffy from me stupidly storing it charged I decided to give the Venom a try to discharge the all the batteries. I set it to 2a current for a 11.1v LiPO and started the storage cycle. Worked perfectly with no fuss or input from me needed.

LandYachtMedia said:
I have a Venom charger (which also is a discharger) for my other RC stuff. It has a program built in for LiPO storage. Since I have one battery that has gone a little puffy from me stupidly storing it charged I decided to give the Venom a try to discharge the all the batteries. I set it to 2a current for a 11.1v LiPO and started the storage cycle. Worked perfectly with no fuss or input from me needed.

How did you hook up to the DJI battery?

I took a battery connector and cut it apart so I could insert each contact in to one of the power slots on the battery. From there it was just a matter of checking the polarity and connecting it to the charger.

Attachments

• 20141126_104353.jpg
    20141126_104353.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 355
  • 20141126_104512.jpg
    20141126_104512.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 369
Pro-tip...

Don't use funky fat blade connectors to fudge a connection to the smart battery for draining... you will end up stretching the sockets and having a loose connection with the normal blades on the phantom... potential disaster waiting to happen there.

I checked the thickness of those blades with the thickness of the ones on the phantom. The best I could tell they were the same. I did snap off the springs so it was just the blade. They slide in easily with no indication of bending or fatiguing anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1