Battery Deviations

Reaction score
Hey everyone , I think it's normal but I'm looking for a second opinion.

After a few mins of flying / batt temp is normal, if I decide to fly full throttle I end up with the voltage (shown on the main screen) going either yellow or red (red more in windy conditions). It seems that when I put a full draw on the battery (full throttle ahead for example) it causes major deviations in all 3 of my batteries but always In cell #1.

Firmware 1.6

Pro or advanced phantom 3

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone ?

All of them ... Multiple deviations .. Cell 1 .. But only when I go from hovering to full throttle !!

29a9923101c5166a73aaba5cd64581b3.jpg

Just a thought- have you considered implementing a more gentle transition to full throttle? You are probably tempting fate here. If you have same issue on multiple packs flying style is the probable cause.

I'm not really "super worried" !! More so I'm asking is this normal when flying aggressively??

When battery temp is below 25C it will drop voltage big time under heavy load. (wind, full throttle)
If it drops too low the battery can even shut off and the aircraft will fall out of the sky.
The 1.6 firmware is suppose to throttle back but if you put a cold battery in especially if it's not at 100%
you can have a battery shutdown during the first few minutes because it hasnt had time to warmup.
Prewarm the battery and fully charge before flight.
Likely wont see this in summer.

Im not suggesting "super worry" however i am recomending that when you get a yellow or red warning you back off. Drop one cell in the pack below critical and its game over

How old are the batteries? Did you break them in properly, using only 50% usage for the first 10 flights? Or are they past 20 charges, and in that case have you drained them to 8% to equalize? Some folks don't believe in equalization maintenance, and I'm not promoting it. I just want to know what you've done to date for battery maintenance and break-in. What ambient temperature are you flying in there in Canada? If it's cold (I assume yes), did you keep the batteries warm before launch?

This isn't normal for my batteries, but I'm in a warmer climate here in So. Calif. I'm not sure if temp has any effect on equalization, but I'm thinking maybe since it's always the first cell in all batteries that are showing this problem.

Last edited:
Im not suggesting "super worry" however i am recomending that when you get a yellow or red warning you back off. Drop one cell in the pack below critical and its game over

Oh as soon as I saw the yellow warning I back off for sure !! The last thing I want it a crashed bird !!

How old are the batteries? Did you break them in properly, using only 50% usage for the first 10 flights? Or are they past 20 charges, and in that case have you drained them to 8% to equalize? Some folks don't believe in equalization maintenance, and I'm not promoting it. I just want to know what you've done to date for battery maintenance and break-in. What ambient temperature are you flying in there in Canada? If it's cold (I assume yes), did you keep the batteries warm before launch?

This isn't normal for my batteries, but I'm in a warmer climate here in So. Calif. I'm not sure if temp has any effect on equalization, but I'm thinking maybe since it's always the first cell in all batteries that are showing this problem.

Im still breaking them in!! Only 5 or 6 cycles on these batteries, and yes only flying to approx 50%.

As far as temps go, it was 8c yesterday so more than likely a lot cooler than Cali lol !! But I do keep them warm , but only 20c before launch. Maybe I need to warm them up a little more like 25c like that video said ??

Have you seen this vid?

I did not !! But thank you !!

So the low low voltage level is set by when you turn on the AC? So the battery has to be warmed before flight more than 25c ?

I did not !! But thank you !!

So the low low voltage level is set by when you turn on the AC? So the battery has to be warmed before flight more than 25c ?

The voltage data comes from the battery itself. Turning on the AC lets you see it in the Go app.
Prewarming to 25 helps the battery from big voltage drop during high load aka full throttle.
So yes pre warm the battery to 25c.

I was doing 20c before .. Didn't know about the 25c thing! Thanks so much !! This is why these forums are awesome !!!

Reactions: jack1144
I would still like to know if maybe my batteries came from a bad batch ... With only 5-6 cycles on them & cell 1 showing major deviations on 3 different batteries, but worst deviations are on this one posted above .. seems weird to me.

I don't think you have any real concerns. The deviations are probably a product of your flight characteristics. The fact that you have major deviations is worth watching but as I understand the data that really isn't a big problem as you don't have more than 10... In a minutes time. I had a battery that I purchased that had 60 major deviations in one flight. Needless to say after learning of the issue in HD. I really babied the battery and it still had 30 major deviations... Well that battery was returned and not used again. So I would be aware of the battery temp and especially when it is cold really monitor the voltage. Additionally, I would not launch the bird a full throttle on a cold battery.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

All of them ... Multiple deviations .. Cell 1 .. But only when I go from hovering to full throttle !!

wish I could help but pretty much never use full anything on anything I have
I tend to not like pushing things to limit unless a real need, but that is me and my phobia.

I know I have a battery I just replaced (2 or 3 charges only) that has issues with cel 1 deviating .06 -.1 from others .
It also went to orange and red without full throttle after a few minutes when I would push up somewhat etc.
that is now my bench battery for testing and practice stuff.

when were you batteries made ---bad batch maybe?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1