Battery Dent

Reaction score
Ok, so I accidentally dropped my gimbal guard on top of one of my batteries and now there are two little dents in one of the silver squares. Is it still safe to use?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Got a photo?

That'll be fine to use.

Got a photo?

Sorry that was the wrong side. That was just a discolor. Its by the word press.

5ccb2ce033b7cecdecf828888e8769b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That side looks fine too. It's usually fine to use as long as the battery is not punctured.

Reactions: Bull94
Awesome. Thank you for the advice.

The cells are wrapped in something like aluminium, it may be aluminium. Anyway, it is easy to dent. You can do it with your fingernail. Just dont punture it. You will have a shooting flamethrower. For fun look on YouTube for videos of what happens when you puncture a lipo battery.

Reactions: Bull94 and Digdat0
Well, to be the dissenting vote here - I know the batteries are expensive, I do not think there is a big chance of damage, but any dents are significant. Ive been using LIPOs for years, you would be amazed at how, what appears to be insignificant, little damage can cause a pack to fail. Also, these are pretty big packs and an internal short can result in a rather spectacular fire show. I would charge it, fly it, and then look at cell voltage through discharge cycle. If the cells are balanced, I would continue to use it, if not - I would toss it as Ive seen LIPOs puff and blow in storage. My old cells were always stored in an ammo can so no damage to garage. but it sure stunk.

Well, to be the dissenting vote here - I know the batteries are expensive, I do not think there is a big chance of damage, but any dents are significant. Ive been using LIPOs for years, you would be amazed at how, what appears to be insignificant, little damage can cause a pack to fail. Also, these are pretty big packs and an internal short can result in a rather spectacular fire show. I would charge it, fly it, and then look at cell voltage through discharge cycle. If the cells are balanced, I would continue to use it, if not - I would toss it as Ive seen LIPOs puff and blow in storage. My old cells were always stored in an ammo can so no damage to garage. but it sure stunk.

I'll do that. I'm kind of worried about it exploding midair lol.

Send it to me. ;)
There's nothing wrong with what you have shown us.

Reactions: Bull94 and BigAl07
You are perfectly fine. You dented the metal cover, no way the dent hit the actual battery cell.

Yeah, it's only a cosmetic ripple. Nothing to be three-alarmed about. Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Bull94 and Digdat0
Lol thank you everyone. I think I will have to decline your generous offers of disposal =9

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
We are hobbyists and like to repair things and use them back. That gives us great fun. I agree, don't dispose off batteries until you have researched enough and found them useless.

I have some lipos for my QAV250 that I have twisted and almost bent into a C, I still use them. But, I put those outside in a LIPO fireproof bag. I have straightened them and they have worked all this time. I dont recommend doing this though, it could spontaneously combust into a ball of shooting flames.

Lol thank you everyone. I think I will have to decline your generous offers of disposal =9
To make ya feel better, here's one of my batteries. You can see a dent little bigger than yours .. its fine and is a strong battery. Consistent 18-19 min flights. :)

E7G2h64.jpg

Woah mine is nothing then lol. I actually took it for twp flights today with that battery and it's all good :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj