Battery clearance?? Big deal or not so much?

Reaction score
Ive continued to fight with my h3-3d intermittently drifting left and then snapping back to center.

Today I decided to look at the mounting of the gimbal more closely and see if there was any thing that might be "off".

Started off inspecting with the battery out and there was no obstructions to the movement of the gimbal at all.
Put the battery in, tried again and immediately noticed that the yaw axis was much tighter. Pulled the battery out.. Smooth as silk again. Put the battery back in slowly and sure enough the gimbal starts moving as the battery rubs past it and once its seated the yaw axis remains much tighter than with the battery out.

I'm using the white rubber dampers. Tried to remount with some small washers in between the mount plate and the phantom body but the screws are just a wee bit short. Hopefully I can find some at the hardware store tomorrow that will work.

Could this be part of my problem?? I could certainly see the computer trying to over compensate for the constant friction that the battery is causing??

Thanks in advance

Is it like that with other batteries? The tolerance is tight but it's made to clear. If the plastic cage on that battery is slightly off it might be enough to cause the rub, also double-check your battery isn't showing signs of swelling. Failing all that then as you say it should only need some very thing washers to get the clearance you need - although you shouldn't have to do it at all, of course!

Try reloading your gimbal software update again (and you have the driver) I've experrienced having to reload software on a couple so far. Not saying your battery suspicions are wrong, but with battery out there's zero power to motors which inturn make it smooth. Also recal your X1 stick movement.

also double-check your battery isn't showing signs of swelling.
All batteries are "new - less than 10 runs each" (5 total) and all exhibit the same clearance issues.

Try reloading your gimbal software update again (and you have the driver) I've experienced having to reload software on a couple so far. Not saying your battery suspicions are wrong, but with battery out there's zero power to motors which inturn make it smooth. Also recal your X1 stick movement.
I've tried the reloading/re calibrating things multiple times. Even dropped the firmware on the copter back to an earlier version and re-updated / re calibrated etc. etc....

In regards to the power issue. The clearance/friction problem occurs without the battery being powered up.
Battery out of copter = Smooth as silk
Battery in but not powered up = resistance/friction.

hoping to find some screws today that will let me reattach with the small washers in between. Once I get that done Ill test it out, see if it makes a difference and report back.

jplayer said:
In regards to the power issue. The clearance/friction problem occurs without the battery being powered up.
Battery out of copter = Smooth as silk
Battery in but not powered up = resistance/friction.

Ah, gotcha. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!

Went out at lunch today and picked up some screws that would fit with the washers.
First thing I did when I got home was get it all bolted back together.

First test.. Insert the battery..... Clear... No movement of the gimbal as I push the battery into the compartment.
Second test.. rotate the gimbal with the battery in.. Clear... Smooth as silk, no friction at all!!
Third test.. Flight time!!!!!
ANDDDD.............

It went the entire flight with NO | ZERO | ZILCH erratic movements!!! Perfect the entire time.
I am ecstatic.
If your gimbal is acting up get off the internet searching for a firmware update and go check your battery clearance with the yaw motor!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub