Battery Charging v 1.1.1

Reaction score
I have a few questions. I was unable for a few days to tell if my battery was running out due to a setting in the software set wrong so I ended up landing/softly crashing due to dead battery. I read running this low can damage the battery. Well I now charge which takes only about 30 minutes but flight time is only about 2 or 3 minutes before I'm flashing red. This is brand new on xmas. Is the battery fried?

Also the charger, is it a float charger that I can leave on for long periods of time?

How should I charge the battery, fully charged off the charger, fully charged on the charger?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems dji builds a great product but lacks in the instructions department.

What setting got changed? First level protection? Make sure it's set to the correct default value for the Phantom. I think the default is 11.3V, 0.6V loss.

The Phantom charger has a cutoff but don't leave it connected to the battery for long periods of time. Fully charged LiPos that are left for days / weeks will degrade. It's best to leave LiPos at around 50% charge if you're not using them.

What do you mean by "fully charged off / on the charger"?

sounds like your settings are still set incorrect.
it takes about an hour and a half to charge a battery full using the stock charger.
so if it takes you only 30 minutes, that's 1/3 of the time it should take.

However, you said you get 2-3 min of flight time which is about 1/3 what I would normally expect. So at least what you are seeing is making sense.

I do have a voltmeter. What is fully charged?

I will check the settings

Fully charged than take it off or keep it on the charger fully charged. That question was pretty much answered, leave it off the charger.

12.36 volts after 18 hours on the charger

Protections set to

1st level 11.55v 0.00 loss 11.55 Loaded - Safeguard LED Warning

2nd level 11.10 v 0.00 Loss 11.10 Loaded - Safeguard Descending

Took it up and it ran 1minute, 34 seconds before red lights turned on. It lost power and had to land at 3 min, 46 seconds. Voltage when I removed battery was 11.54 volts.

That's your problem. Your voltage setting are all wrong.

They should be:
First level - 11.3v - 0.6v loss
Second level - 11.2v - 0.6v loss

Put those values in and you will be fine.

rilot said:
That's your problem. Your voltage setting are all wrong.

They should be:
First level - 11.3v - 0.6v loss
Second level - 11.2v - 0.6v loss

Put those values in and you will be fine.

Well now look at that, she runs good now. :lol: Thank you!

I agree with the above post
I think your low voltage cutoff is set with figures that trigger it to to come on to early. Your short flight only used a small amount of power from the battery hence the short recharging time.
Firstly you need to workout the voltage loss during a flight.This procedure is explained in the Naza assistant on the low voltage tab.
Input your voltage loss into the relevant box in the Naza assistant.

My figures are as below, other peoples will be different , but this what I am using

first alert unloaded 11.55V , loss 0.7V , loaded 10.85
second alert unloaded 11.10V loss 0.7V , loaded 10.4V

Hope this helps

Davidlf said:
I agree with the above post
I think your low voltage cutoff is set with figures that trigger it to to come on to early. Your short flight only used a small amount of power from the battery hence the short recharging time.
Firstly you need to workout the voltage loss during a flight.This procedure is explained in the Naza assistant on the low voltage tab.
Input your voltage loss into the relevant box in the Naza assistant.

My figures are as below, other peoples will be different , but this what I am using

first alert unloaded 11.55V , loss 0.7V , loaded 10.85
second alert unloaded 11.10V loss 0.7V , loaded 10.4V

Hope this helps

It does, thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik