Battery charging hub question

Reaction score
Just received an Anbee multi battery charging hub today and had a question. There are places to plug in the battery connector and the remote control connector. Does it matter which one is used? Does it change anything like charge time? I assume one does NOT want to plug both in at the same time, correct?
1500342374610.jpg

What difference will it make ?

I know that DJI advise not to charge AC and RC same time with their charger ... seems a bit strange to be honest !!

Does this multi unit not have any instructions ?

Note : That many multi station chargers do not shorten charge time for multiple batterys as they charge one then next in order of charge level at plug in ... very few actually charge simultaneously ... and if the power supply to it is the DJI charger - its not capable of providing enough to charge more than one pack at full rate anyway ... the power will be divided if simultaneous ... making charge time significantly longer !

If simultaneous charging is wanted - cheaper is to buy suitable separate chargers .... !!

Nigel

Does it have a manual? If I was to guess I would say you might be able to use the remote charge connector to power the hub while having an additional battery charging from the designated connector battery connector. Not something I would recommend, you may place undue stress on the DJI power supply reducing its service life or causing complete failure.

The fact the batteries charge in sequence (as with the DJI OEM hub) isn't an issue for me. I can stick four batteries on it when going to bed and they are ready to fly next morning. It's very convenient.

Remind to never ask to stay at your house then !!

You leave LiPo's charging while you go to bed ??

I'm not one of the Paranoid dafties who rant and rave about how dangerous LiPo's are ... but I do respect that they can and do erupt occasionally.

Nigel

Remind to never ask to stay at your house then !!

You leave LiPo's charging while you go to bed ??

I'm not one of the Paranoid dafties who rant and rave about how dangerous LiPo's are ... but I do respect that they can and do erupt occasionally.

Nigel
You'd be welcome if you bought your AC for an early morning flight. And safe. I charge outdoors in a masonry enclosure well clear of any combustible material. I'm not paranoid either but know what happens when things go south charging.

I had one of these, with a barrel plug socket, on the side, it didnt fit the plug on the controller, i never bothered to check if it had any voltage on it, ive since given it away and got another unit that charges 3 batteries and the controller at the same time in about an hour or so.

Reactions: Neon Euc
You'd be welcome if you bought your AC for an early morning flight. And safe. I charge outdoors in a masonry enclosure well clear of any combustible material. I'm not paranoid either but know what happens when things go south charging.

Arrrrr ... OK ... you didn't say it was in a 'safe environment' .....

I think being in the job I am - it conditions to look at worst case scenario .. it also makes me qualify statements. I think of what happens when a new person without knowledge reads something ...

A new owner could read your charge and go to bed but instead of in a 'safe enclosure' leave his charging on a desk etc. in the house !

Nigel

As regards multi- charging ... many on the Standard listing know my claims about using LiPo Programmable chargers ... (I have both Standard and Pro P3's).

For about $5 - you can buy an adaptor lead for P3 batterys to fit common Programmable LiPo chargers such as the B6 Mini .... Accucel 6 80W etc.

You set the charger to LiHV, 4S, Charge only mode, at up to 5A maximum ... switch on battery, plug in and press start.

I have 4 LiPo chargers as a bench setup with two of them with LiHV capability.
Add those to my two DJI chargers supplied with the P3's ... that gives me a 4 pack charge capability of all batterys within the hour ... and cost less than some of the multi-chargers I see linked to ...

I won't bore you with all the details ... so anyone interested in this - PM me ...

Nigel

Last edited:
I had one of these, with a barrel plug socket, on the side, it didnt fit the plug on the controller, i never bothered to check if it had any voltage on it, ive since given it away and got another unit that charges 3 batteries and the controller at the same time in about an hour or so.
That's what I got. Amazing aint they. Great for a flight, then go to pub to charge up all 3 batteries in an hour (or two pints worth) then go fly again lol

Reactions: crash1sttime
That's what I got. Amazing aint they. Great for a flight, then go to pub to charge up all 3 batteries in an hour (or two pints worth) then go fly again lol

What a great idea mate, never thought of that lol

Suffice it to say that I had 2 pints before flying my standard for a total of 12kms ... which meant she 'fell short' of home by just about 1km and into the river ...

Just saying - I rarely touch a drop if I fly ......

Last time before destroying my P3S ... was at our RC Club weekend camp-out and party ... I had a few 'cans' and ended up retrieving my 3D plane of the MIG hangar roof ... (flying at an ex Soviet MIG fighter station).

Nigel

Arrrrr ... OK ... you didn't say it was in a 'safe environment' .....

I think being in the job I am - it conditions to look at worst case scenario .. it also makes me qualify statements. I think of what happens when a new person without knowledge reads something ...

A new owner could read your charge and go to bed but instead of in a 'safe enclosure' leave his charging on a desk etc. in the house !

Nigel

I have had a problem now and then with a LiPo "brick" (one of those rectangular-shaped batteries) of the style I use for my R/C planes. But, in two years of monkeying with Phantom stuff, I've discovered the smart batteries to be really smart. Yes, I agree that you probably shouldn't put a LiPo battery on a charger and then leave it unattended. I have four batteries and monitor them when charging. Never yet had a hint of a potential problem. Nothing that remotely resembled the kind of trouble it is possible to get into with the "brick" style.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

I had 3 P3 batterys ... I lost one after P3S went into the river ... I retrieved the P3S and just managed to get battery out before it swelled up and starting cracking the plastic case ...

I agree that going for a swim is not conducive to long battery life .. BUT I have had a number of standard LiPo's go into the same river in Floatplanes and boats - and ALL survived and still in use long time after.

As to Smart ? - I'll agree to not start an argument about that - just to mention that my tests and also by others would never use the word SMART or INTELLIGENT !!

Nigel

You know what's funny? The same people that have a fear of charging a LiPo unattended have absolutely no problem plugging in their ipad or phone and falling asleep.

iPad%20fire.jpg

phone-boom.jpg

So.... can you guys HONESTLY tell me that you NEVER plug your phone in and go to sleep?

Plugging in a phone with a small cell which is usually hard cased is a bit different to a foil wrapped LiPo of significant size that can vent not only toxic fumes enough to kill all in a room but also create a fireball that has to be seen to be believed.

Nigel

Plugging in a phone with a small cell which is usually hard cased is a bit different to a foil wrapped LiPo of significant size that can vent not only toxic fumes enough to kill all in a room but also create a fireball that has to be seen to be believed.

Nigel

Ohh, I've seen it. Next door neighbor wasn't home. Grandson wanted to use his Traxxas Slash 4x4. Plugged a 5000mah 2s lipo into a NiMh charger. Took a nap. It exploded in a fireball, messed up the whole room. Good thing the fire alarm went off and he was home. He got the fire out pretty quickly. Cost Grandpa $2000.00 to re-do the room (and that's doing it himself). Expensive "Do not use the wrong charger" lesson.

He was very lucky .....

The NiMh charger would have been looking for Delta Peak to shut of charge ... but LiPo's do not Delta Peak - they will basically keep going till they 'burst into flames' ....

Nigel

For the first couple of years using LiPo batteries (for R/C aircraft), I went somewhat overboard. Built a small pseudo bomb shelter out of 8x8x16 block and charged batteries in supposed safety. I own several chargers for my old-style LiPo batteries and they've always been good about stopping the charge at the right time. They also do a great job of discharging LiPo batts to storage levels. Most of the time I use a small 12v light and one of those "voltage buzzers" to let me know when I reach my target voltage (discharging to storage level) and when the buzzer goes off (it's damned loud) I remove the connected light bulb.

Many of the stories I personally hear about battery explosions/fires are not truly ancecdotal. They're involving "...I knew a guy who knew a guy..." stories. Over a number of years of using LiPos and their chargers, I've never had an accident. I *did* a see a video one day where a LiPo caught fire and looked like a blowtorch. But that was because it had become damaged - and also because the owner clobbered it with a sledge-hammer!

The battery-damage stories remind me of a story back in the 1950s. Someone said "Detroit should make our cars safer." Someone from Detroit supposedly responded "Our cars are a hell of a lot safer than the people who drive them."

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1