Battery charges

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what you consider to be a lot of charges on a battery? 20? 50? ??
I have a hi cap battery (2nd hand) with 33 charges. I have never given this much thought. I don't fly much for physical reasons and I have collected a bunch of batteries. How long will they last just sitting on the shelf?

How long will they last just sitting on the shelf?
It remains to be seen how long they will actually last when cared for properly (since the P4 is still fairly new). I also have a lot of batteries and found they are storing well when I keep them in storage like this.

Thanks, I don't get to fly much and my batteries sit around too much I believe. I am a disabled Veteran from the VN conflict. I know that ages me but it is what it is. I started flying "U" controlled balsa wood planes back in the 50's. We stood in one spot and flew around and around. Built our own planes out of wood and glue. We put an 049 on it and most of the time they flew. I remember one beast I made that I put 2 "049" s on. It went up in a blaze. I was a kid and just flew it flames and all. We were poor so I couldn't get a radio controlled plane when they came out. At that point I had pretty much grown up. At least the Army thought I was an adult. They tossed me into a war and I didn't get back to flying until about 5 years ago. This has pretty much changed my life. I can't fly "U" control anymore but I can manage a quad.

Reactions: awinn17
Through my research (wandering about aimlessly through the youtube drone posts, forums and anything that that is drone related in my quest to get better at flying / photo & video editing / managing my drone I saw somewhere that you can expect to get around 200 charges out of the new high capacity batteries before they will no longer be safe to fly with.

And in a nutshell, store batteries with roughly a 50% charge if not using them on a regular basis (eg, at least once every 2 weeks)... a good idea would be to set yourself a calendar reminder to charge them up once a month to 100% ... they will drain out after 10 days non-use to 50% (you can change this in DJI Go app). I have 4 batteries all bought roughly at the same time and here in OZ that's $750 US - a lotta moula!! so it's something I will be doing when I start flying less, in an effort to get the most out of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droneted
DJI batteries are very durable but over time they lose some mAH, I fly regularly and have two batteries over 100 charges and still use them ok.

Through my research (wandering about aimlessly through the youtube drone posts, forums and anything that that is drone related in my quest to get better at flying / photo & video editing / managing my drone I saw somewhere that you can expect to get around 200 charges out of the new high capacity batteries before they will no longer be safe to fly with.

And in a nutshell, store batteries with roughly a 50% charge if not using them on a regular basis (eg, at least once every 2 weeks)... a good idea would be to set yourself a calendar reminder to charge them up once a month to 100% ... they will drain out after 10 days non-use to 50% (you can change this in DJI Go app). I have 4 batteries all bought roughly at the same time and here in OZ that's $750 US - a lotta moula!! so it's something I will be doing when I start flying less, in an effort to get the most out of them.
If you insist on charging to 100% and rely on the auto discharge I would change the days to auto discharge to 1, the 10 day setting is placing unnecessary stress in the cells (they loose capacity more quickly while sitting at full charge). Why not just throw it in the charger and take it off when the third light just starts blinking? Taking it to 100% to allow it to discharge provides no benefit,you are simply putting charge cycles on the pack unnecessarily.

If you insist on charging to 100% and rely on the auto discharge I would change the days to auto discharge to 1, the 10 day setting is placing unnecessary stress in the cells (they loose capacity more quickly while sitting at full charge). Why not just throw it in the charger and take it off when the third light just starts blinking? Taking it to 100% to allow it to discharge provides no benefit,you are simply putting charge cycles on the pack unnecessarily.
So by charging them to LESS than 100% will NOT put charge cycles on them? Or does it record a cycle everytime its connected to a charger?

So by charging them to LESS than 100% will NOT put charge cycles on them? Or does it record a cycle everytime its connected to a charger?
No, all charging impacts on the charge cycle count. The MCU measured mah put into the cell during charging as a fraction of last recorded capacity. 1 charge cycle is 0 to 100% capacity (as depicted by the no of charges in GO app). So- if you have a battery at 20% that you charge to 100% to allow it to auto discharge to 55% you have wasted 45% of a charge cycle as apposed to charging from 20% to where the third light starts blinking (50% charge level).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl