Battery charger blew up!

SPD

Reaction score
Hey guys, just passing along some info here.....
Besides my P3 and P4 I originally had a Yuneec q500. Just about 3 weeks ago I ordered a dual battery charger. Well, it exploded causing a decent fire in my basement. When I find my records I will post the exact module and such. Just wanted to throw that info out!
BTW...2 batteries were on the charger and were fully charged I assume just didn't get a chance to take them off. And it was an after market charger as well.
Be well everyone!
c7ef2153fb720b0e4ade91a294ffaa7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Tight Lines
LiPo issues while charging are the most common.
This is why you never leave them unattended.

You're a bit vague in the OP and I guess will provide more details later but if a 3rd party charger damaged DJI batteries... it's on you.

If they were all non-DJI products then I'm not sure why this is in the P4 forum

You're a bit vague in the OP and I guess will provide more details later but if a 3rd party charger damaged DJI batteries... it's on you.

If they were all non-DJI products then I'm not sure why this is in the P4 forum

Did you read my whole post?? I said it's a Yuneec. I have phantoms as well. I was just passing along info since everyone uses lipo batteries, that's all

Reactions: Slackware
So what is their best recommendation to put out lipo's besides don't lite them up. Sand bucket? r-132A freon to displace the oxygen? Charge inside safe with door locked?

FD said "those things are dangerous" that's about it. I actually got the fire out with a fire extinguisher. FD was called because the charger was still shaking and looked unstable.

Just glad your all OK. One of the good things about dji batteries is that they control the charge and turn off. Other chargers like my skyRC charger for my other batteries reads the voltage and turns itself off so if that fails I would have a problem.

Reactions: SPD
Just glad your all OK. One of the good things about dji batteries is that they control the charge and turn off. Other chargers like my skyRC charger for my other batteries reads the voltage and turns itself off so if that fails I would have a problem.

Thank you!!

so how many dji batteries before your home insurance covers them?
Glad you got the fire out, but what a waste in the batteries.
Had a tree hit the garage, and go through nose of car. home policy and auto were arguing over if the tree went through car and then fell into garage, or garage and then through the car for who got to pay.

Reactions: SPD
Yes, I stay in the room with them.
What I'm doing simultaneously varies.

Did you read my whole post?? I said it's a Yuneec. I have phantoms as well. I was just passing along info since everyone uses lipo batteries, that's all

Guess I was a bit confused too.
You said "I originally had a yuneec"
I have a yuneec and threw away one battery (disposed of properly) due to it imploding.
I use one of those steel safes when charging my yuneec batteries.

Reactions: N017RW
I'm not quite that paranoid but close LOL. My garage does not have living space above so I have a bench where I charge all my batteries (drone, power tools etc..) . It's by the outside door, I have a fire extinguisher handy and I put a smoke detector right above also.

Probably overkill...

I don't see the paranoia in such but TEHO.

I'm not quite that paranoid but close LOL. My garage does not have living space above so I have a bench where I charge all my batteries (drone, power tools etc..) . It's by the outside door, I have a fire extinguisher handy and I put a smoke detector right above also.

Probably overkill...
what, no co2 detector. You live on the edge.

Guess I was a bit confused too.
You said "I originally had a yuneec"
I have a yuneec and threw away one battery (disposed of properly) due to it imploding.
I use one of those steel safes when charging my yuneec batteries.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I have a Yuneec, and 2 phantoms. Even though this is a phantom site I thought I would share the info to all. (So I didn't get yelled at for talking Yuneec) but battery chargers apply to all of us. It was an after market Yuneec dual charger that exploded. probably on the 3rd charge. it took out my Yuneec, the batteries obviously, and other stuff. Sorry if I confused you guys.
The Moral of the story is: be safe and I guess don't leave the 10 feet "fence" around your chargers!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik