Battery charger / adapter over charge question

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted / asked already - I searched but did not find.

The DJI charger instructions clearly say to unplug the battery as soon as it is done charging. However, all the lights on the battery go out once it is fully charged, implying that the smart charger knows the battery is full and isn't providing any additional power (or the battery is in control and stops accepting power - doesn't really matter for this question).

Does it matter if the battery remains plugged in well beyond the conclusion of a full charge? By well beyond, I mean overnight +/- 12 hours.

Thank you.

Lipo Battery and charger manufacturers always state in their instructions to unplug immediately after charge... probably because of our court happy society where everybody sues for everything... If there is a fault in the charge system and it doesn't stop charging then the battery would surely explode after that much time being plugged in... so they include instructions that would reduce their liability in a court case showing "proper charging instructions were not followed"

To answer the question... yes the charger shuts down and protects the battery when it reaches full charge... BUT ... whenever you have a 5200mAh lipo firebomb charging in your house... you should be following the rules... it's all fun and games until you're standing on your front lawn at 3 in the morning watching your house burn down because of a 2 dollar part failure in a smart charger.

DBS said:
Lipo Battery and charger manufacturers always state in their instructions to unplug immediately after charge... probably because of our court happy society where everybody sues for everything... If there is a fault in the charge system and it doesn't stop charging then the battery would surely explode after that much time being plugged in... so they include instructions that would reduce their liability in a court case showing "proper charging instructions were not followed"

To answer the question... yes the charger shuts down and protects the battery when it reaches full charge... BUT ... whenever you have a 5200mAh lipo firebomb charging in your house... you should be following the rules... it's all fun and games until you're standing on your front lawn at 3 in the morning watching your house burn down because of a 2 dollar part failure in a smart charger.

Good advice, and great points. Thank you!

fujitsuman said:
DBS said:

Good advice, and great points. Thank you!

And get one of these

Attachments

• 516paFg-nmL.jpg
    516paFg-nmL.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 897
if you plan to let it charge overnight you should at a minimum purchase a FireSave bag to put them in while charging.
These bags are fairly cheap but will prevent a fire if something happens to the battery while charging and keep it contained. The one I have looks like a firehose lining on the inside and Duct Tape on the outside. I keep all of my batteries inside it and when charging I keep the battery inside and there is room to have the wires stick out the plug into the charger.

With Li-Po batteries you are actually advised to use a FireSave bag if the battery is ever left unattended for any amount of time while charging.

MikesTooLz said:
if you plan to let it charge overnight you should at a minimum purchase a FireSave bag to put them in while charging.
These bags are fairly cheap but will prevent a fire if something happens to the battery while charging and keep it contained. The one I have looks like a firehose lining on the inside and Duct Tape on the outside. I keep all of my batteries inside it and when charging I keep the battery inside and there is room to have the wires stick out the plug into the charger.

With Li-Po batteries you are actually advised to use a FireSave bag if the battery is ever left unattended for any amount of time while charging.

Thanks guys! (+ Skyhighdiver)

Looks like those would be especially important while traveling via airline.

I have yet to leave them charging over night, but I always try to be sure I know the limits to things.

Thanks again for your help.

phantomguy said:
anyone store their phantom batteries in the refrigerator on a regular basis?

why would you do that? You know that the batteries will drain much faster when cold...

Best way to store them when not going to be used for a while is to charge them to 50% and leave them at room temperature in one of those FireSafe bags.

MikesTooLz said:
phantomguy said:

why would you do that? You know that the batteries will drain much faster when cold...

Best way to store them when not going to be used for a while is to charge them to 50% and leave them at room temperature in one of those FireSafe bags.

Ideally, the batteries should be stored inside a liposack and kept in a cool, dry place with a stable temperature of between 4 to 20 degree celcius.

http://www.lipolbattery.info/
http://www.articlesfactory.com/articles ... eries.html
http://www.bigrcmodels.com/RC-Helicopte ... torage.asp

MikesTooLz said:

Is there an automatic way to charge to 50%, or do you just plug them in for 30 or 40 minutes and unplug? Thanks!

phantomguy said:
MikesTooLz said:
phantomguy said:

I've been using lipos for years and just store them in my hobby room. I've never had any issues. Their not going to just explode on you.
I try to store at 50 % capacity. I've seen them in hobby shops sitting in the display box all the time. Their in my laptops and cell phones. I can see if you crash them and the swell up and charging in a ammo box or lipo sack.

Ideally, the batteries should be stored inside a liposack and kept in a cool, dry place with a stable temperature of between 4 to 20 degree celcius.

http://www.lipolbattery.info/
http://www.articlesfactory.com/articles ... eries.html
http://www.bigrcmodels.com/RC-Helicopte ... torage.asp

MikesTooLz said:

Where did you get that from... completely untrue

Lipos don't output as well when they are cold.... but for storage purposes they love refrigerator temperatures. (not freezer)

RC hobby flyers have been doing this for years... When you have Lipos that only get used once every couple months it is actually recommended by a few of the manufacturers to store them that way... zip lock bag with the air sucked out... 40/50% charge... warm them to room temp before putting heavy load on them or they may not put out the C rating they are specified for.

Great way to keep seldom used Lipos fresh and new for years (or 300 charge cycles)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31