Battery Charge Flashing LED Oddity?

Reaction score
When charging the Phantom's batteries I'm used to seeing the green LED's light up progressively as the charge nears full - so at first there is one solid LED and then two and the other LED's flash until they are solid and then they all go off and the battery is charged.

Today I decided to top up both of my batteries which were around 50% fully charged. On connecting them to the charger all the LED's flashed in cycle as if the battery was empty and after about 40 minutes all the LED's went off. I disconnected the battery and pressed the button on the battery and all four LED's are solid showing that the battery is fully charged whereas before it was showing only 2 LED's.

So the charger and battery are definitely charging OK but I'm puzzled as to why the LED's didn't progressively go solid as the battery charged up?

Could it be because they were already at 50% although I'm sure I haven't seen this behaviour before?

One possible situation is that the batteries were already full and you set it into "top-up mode". This is when the battery is full, but it lets you squeeze in an extra 10%. See Simon's video for more info. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI_tYJY3GEc[/youtube]

Thanks for the link - it probably does has something to do with the fact that they were 50% charged.
I'll give them a proper flight (when the weather permits) so I can make sure the LED's behave normally when the battery is down to at least 20%.

Fourblade said:
Oh by the way - welcome Jacob - I didn't twig straight away when I saw "admin" that you're the new boss :lol:

I don't think of myself as boss...just here to make sure everyone is happy.

Jacob

Jacob said:
Fourblade said:
Oh by the way - welcome Jacob - I didn't twig straight away when I saw "admin" that you're the new boss :lol:

I don't think of myself as boss...just here to make sure everyone is happy.

Jacob

Just joking around - glad to know you.

Oh and by the way I just flew 2 full flights with the batteries this afternoon and now put the first one on charge and whatdyaknow the LED's are flashing exactly like they should!!!!

So I guess the moral of the story is don't expect normal battery LED flashing if you try to charge a battery that's around 50% charged!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.