Battery cells going orange

Reaction score
Went flying the other day, and noticed my battery cells went from green to orange.
just wondering is that anything to worry about , as I've heard stories about phantoms dropping out of the sky when your draining too much voltage....
Had it fully charged with a brand-new battery so when the cells turn orange I start to panic... Thinking if I keep flying it will bottom out and lose power all together...
Question..... Am I right to worry???????
6b322f2ebf4bbb1d67c9fabf9138110f.jpg

Last edited:
Whats the meaning of Cells turning orange?

Went flying the other day, and noticed my battery cells went from green to orange.
just wondering is that anything to worry about , as I've heard stories about phantoms dropping out of the sky when your draining too much voltage....
Had it fully charged with a brand-new battery so when the cells turn orange I start to panic... Thinking if I keep flying it will bottom out and lose power all together...
Question..... Am I right to worry???????

the important things is how long and how hard were you flying when you got the message>

it is saying your are getting close to a problem power level and slow down......

Thats not an issue. Look for the total voltage, cell to cell voltage difference and Battery Life. They tell you the charge level and health of the battery pack.

Well ye flying but I don,t think I was pushing the bird hard at all

as stated

how long were you flying prior to message?
how cold was temps.
did you charge battery THE DAY you flew?

your definition and the FW definition at times may differ especially when and if is lower temps,
it is designed to power it down at certain thresholds

What's the lowest voltage before I start worrying
It's 14.5v there and gone orange that's ok too still fly normally??

I heard landing once 3.6 is reached is a safe bet?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looking at your screen shoot. I believe you set it at 30% low battery warning and 20% critical battery warning. I believe you have reach 30% at 1572mah so it turn orange. It will probably turn red at around 1200mah

Last edited:
The battery cell graphics and the voltage readout (if enabled, which displays the voltage of the lowest cell), turn orange (yellow) when the lowest cell reaches 3.6 volts. If the battery is well calibrated that should be around 35-40% remaining. You don't need to land *immediately*, but you should be aware. This is a more reliable indicator of battery status than the % gauge, IMO.

Color graph. Voltage. Amp remaining. Percentage. All doing the same thing and get the data from same sensor in the battery pack.

The key is under different situation you might found different graphic more useful.

^^Not exactly true.
Individual cell voltages are raw sensor data. They are a real, measured physical value.
% remaining is a calibrated value based on measured cell voltage and an estimated battery capacity. The capacity of the battery changes over time.

This is why DJI recommends running the battery all the way down every 20 flights. This allows it to re-estimate the overall battery capacity, and recalculate a more accurate % remaining. (Not to "recondition" the battery as is often stated.)

So, no. It's not "All doing the same thing". And it's why many experienced flyers rely on the cell voltages instead of the percent remaining.

^^Not exactly true.
Individual cell voltages are raw sensor data. They are a real, measured physical value.
% remaining is a calibrated value based on measured cell voltage and an estimated battery capacity. The capacity of the battery changes over time.

This is why DJI recommends running the battery all the way down every 20 flights. This allows it to re-estimate the overall battery capacity, and recalculate a more accurate % remaining. (Not to "recondition" the battery as is often stated.)

So, no. It's not "All doing the same thing". And it's why many experienced flyers rely on the cell voltages instead of the percent remaining.

Whatever make you happy pal

Mine does the same thing. Temperature has a lot to do with it. Your battery was only 33c near end of flight. If it's a cool day (freezing or just above) and I don't push the battery hard during the first 50% and get it warm it will show amber cells at 47% in a hover. I have seen mine in the red and backed off.
DJI seems to be warning us a bit too soon.
I have had one day last week when the outside temp was 10c and the battery got to 40c. Never got the amber until around 30% battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4