Battery And Multiple Flights

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on something. I keep seeing posts that mention not starting a flight if your battery is under 70% or 60% because you can have problems. Is this true?

I'm not talking long flights but if I program a mission in Litchi as and example, and it's a 5 minute flight and I decided to go inside review and make some changes...I should now recharge everything to full capacity again before flying the 5 minute mission again?

If that's that case, it would be a pain in the "out in the field" to do that.

Thanks for any input! :)

I'm a little confused on something. I keep seeing posts that mention not starting a flight if your battery is under 70% or 60% because you can have problems. Is this true?

I'm not talking long flights but if I program a mission in Litchi as and example, and it's a 5 minute flight and I decided to go inside review and make some changes...I should now recharge everything to full capacity again before flying the 5 minute mission again?

Many here will say yes, you have to recharge.
However, I have done , and still do, what you described all the time without issue. Just ensure that when you take off with a 60% battery to NOT go full throttle up or out. Take it easy and fly gently. This is a camera platform, not a hotrod.

Reactions: dirtybum
Many here will say yes, you have to recharge.
However, I have done , and still do, what you described all the time without issue. Just ensure that when you take off with a 60% battery to NOT go full throttle up or out. Take it easy and fly gently. This is a camera platform, not a hotrod.
+1 on that me too.... many times if I know I'm going to be short on batteries I will go shoot what I need to, land , go to next site, then shoot again on same battery - just use caution and be conservative on your 2nd flight

Yes, tons and tons of threads on this. Hundreds of posts. Lots of opinions. My take:

The short answer is you should fully charge.

The longer answer is, it's probably okay (as in 99% okay) to fly on a partially charged battery provided you do it on the same day. The thing you want to avoid is flying on a battery that has been in a partially discharged state for more than a day and has initiated it's auto-discharge.

Yes, tons and tons of threads on this. Hundreds of posts. Lots of opinions. My take:

The short answer is you should fully charge.

The longer answer is, it's probably okay (as in 99% okay) to fly on a partially charged battery provided you do it on the same day. The thing you want to avoid is flying on a battery that has been in a partially discharged state for more than a day and has initiated it's auto-discharge.

Oh! That makes A LOT of sense!

I was trying to figure out if I flew a mission for 5 minutes, landed and reviewed the footage, then decided to fly another 2 minute mission how that would be more dangerous from a battery perspective than flying for 14 minutes.

It was a bit frustrating to think of having to come home after a 2 minute flight to top off the battery to take another 2 minute flight that same day.

Am I understanding this right?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Not only percentage, but also voltage is important.
Because those percentage readings can be very misleading. Read this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr