Batteries

Reaction score
Hi Guys , thanks for all the advice so far , been flying 1 month and love it . Couple of questions regarding batteries - I've bought a spare battery for longer flying . What is best protocol regarding charging ? Should I run batteries flat before charging or can I top up if one has been partially used ?
Also , once I get to the point of using 2 x batteries on one outing - is it necessary to re-calibrate the compass again when swapping batteries over or will it be a straight "in/out" operation ? Thanks again .

Alan

Last edited:
Should I run batteries flat before charging or can I top up if one has been partially used ?
There is no need to run the batteries down to a certain point before charging them again.

Reactions: Winelad
Hi Guys , thanks for all the advice so far , been flying 1 month and love it . Couple of questions regarding batteries - I've bought a spare battery for longer flying . What is best protocol regarding charging ? Should I run batteries flat before charging or can I top up if one has been partially used ?
Also , once I get to the point of using 2 x batteries on one outing - is it necessary to re-calibrate the compass again when swapping batteries over or will it be a straight "in/out" operation ? Thanks again .

Alan
You do know there is a setting in the App, that tells the batteries to auto discharge.

About every other flight around my house because I live in Pacific North Wind, I will get a low battery level when I am landing. Other than that I won't go up without full battery.

I have found to get the battery to 100%. (by topping it off?). Power the battery up like you do when it is in the Phantom hooked to your charger. I have three bats, I would like four.
20 min flight, 20 min for the battery to cool off (at this time of the year). So with approximately 2 hr charge, I still would never be caught up.

Rod

So to piggyback off this discussion, how many batteries would I need to achieve "constant" flight? i.e., landing the drone long enough to swap out the battery but never needing to wait while your batteries charge. For example: Battery 1, fly for 20 minutes, swap in Battery 2. Battery 1 cools for 20 minutes then starts charging, swap in Battery 3. Battery 1 33% charged, Battery 2 cooled and starts charging, swap in Battery 4. Battery 1 66% charged, Battery 2 33% charged, Battery 3 cooled and starts charging, swap in Battery 5. Battery 1 fully charged, Battery 2 66% charged, Battery 3 33% charged, Battery 4 cooled and charging. Can I now swap in Battery 1 and star from the beginning or do I need to give Battery 1 a "rest" before putting it back in the drone, requiring 6 batteries to keep the drone flying? Thanks.

Yeah, I would go with six, 20 min flight, seams like about a 2 hr charge, probably 10 min for cool down. But I think at this way, your going to be able to have at least four charging all the time.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie