Basic questions

Reaction score
I've flown a microlight and also a toy (£30) helicopter. Now I'm looking at a Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision. I have some very basic questions and would be glad if anyone could point me to answers:

• - If I understand it correctly, the Phantom 2 Vision includes drone, video, gimbal and FPV. On the Phantom 2 vanilla it's just the drone: I'd have to buy a GoPro (or similar) gimbal and FPV. Is that correct?
    - If so, is there a recommended FPV package?
    - Starting from nothing (and assuming I take care not to break any laws, how long realistically would it take me to learn to fly the Phantom 2 to a reasonable standard: i.e. safe takeoff and landing and I can put it where I want it in the air within a couple of feet in still air?
    - Is there a newbie FAQ?

Many thanks, all.

Yes, there is a newbie FAQ, I don't know where, but I'm sure this will get deleted.
Your first - not really questions - but statement is true. P2V+ comes with a lower grade gimbal, FPV, and the craft. Otherwise, you'd need the P2 with an H3-3D gimbal, plus 5.8 FPV setup.

The craft is easy. Read the manual, take it slow. READ THE MANUAL.
OH - DID I MENTION - READ THE MANUAL.

Sorry, but a lot of folks think they are better than the manual. You ABSOLUTELY NEED to read the Phantom 2 or Vision + manual.
Once done, you'll be flying in an hour. A master pilot in 3 days.

Phantom 2 vision is a complete package ( only add smart phone )
Phantom ( non-vision ) is only craft ( no gimbal, no camera, no FPV setup )
There is also
Phantom 2 w/ HD-2d gimbal setup for go-pro
And
Phantom 2 w/ HD-3d gimbal setup for go-pro
There are also several companies that build and sell custom setups!

If you are just starting out flying, I recommend phantom 2 vision!
( I only say this because it is ready to fly out of box, and has a good tough gimbal,
Takes a HARD crash to destroy camera gimbal, )
The others like phantom 2 vision + has a extremely easy to break gimbal, which costs $700
To replace!
Even the HD-2d & HD-3d gimbals are very delicate, and easy to break!

As for flying, they are simple, my 6 yr old flies mine all the time! I take off and land , but he flies it around the sky
( under my CLOSE supervision ), but he flies VERY WELL, for 6 yrs old!
( I never let him fly around people, only in open fields!

I recommend, doing a little research, and download, and read the manual SEVERAL TIMES,
And ask questions here, if you get lost or confused!

I have a p2v, and LOVE IT! You can upgrade gimbal later, as you get better, only fault the p2v has is
The gimbal is only 1axis, so video is not as smooth as say 3 axis gimbal! But like I said there are SEVERAL GIMBAL
OPTIONS, you can choose, as upgrade to stock gimbal!

I fly planes, helis, quads, cars and trucks, I will say, I've only been flying my phantom, the rest are collecting dust!
But I don't care, phantoms are soooooo much fun to fly, I find myself getting SUPER UPSET, when I can't fly due to
Bad weather, ect!

I would also recommend:
1) Flytrex 2 core unit
2) personal GPS TRACKER

THESE items will enhance your flying experience!
Flytrex will give you much needs info, plus add a slew of fun things to do
GPS tracker, will help, in case of ( Fly-A-Way )! ( I have over 200 flights with NO ISSUES YET )

Hope this helps:
Take care, Fly safe!

Edited to add:
Welcome to the family!

nintendrone64 said:
Yes, there is a newbie FAQ, I don't know where, but I'm sure this will get deleted.
Your first - not really questions - but statement is true. P2V+ comes with a lower grade gimbal, FPV, and the craft. Otherwise, you'd need the P2 with an H3-3D gimbal, plus 5.8 FPV setup.

The craft is easy. Read the manual, take it slow. READ THE MANUAL.
OH - DID I MENTION - READ THE MANUAL.

Sorry, but a lot of folks think they are better than the manual. You ABSOLUTELY NEED to read the Phantom 2 or Vision + manual.
Once done, you'll be flying in an hour. A master pilot in 3 days.

Any advice on how to do an FPV setup? What product and how tricky is it? When it comes to D-I-Y I have the skills of Dumbo (no offence meant to elephants) so e-a-s-y is important!

J Dot said:
I fly planes, helis, quads, cars and trucks, I will say, I've only been flying my phantom, the rest are collecting dust!
Very good story J Dot. I just had to throw a little fun at you.
Got any video of one of those cars or trucks flying?

Happyflyer said:
J Dot said:
Very good story J Dot. I just had to throw a little fun at you.
Got any video of one of those cars or trucks flying?

LoL, that would be quite the sight, always looking
For a good laugh! Thank you!
Although I did see a flying lawnmower once, at an RC plane show!
It was pretty cool, UNUSUAL but cool!

Take care, Fly safe!

Hello all,

I'm extremely new to forums so I apologize in advance for any missteps or confusion that may cause. I need some help.

I have a phantom 1 and have gotten much better at flying but am having a lot of trouble getting usable video. Its' time for a gimbal! I would love to get the Zenmuse H3-3D but understand that I need to make some changes to my copter. Something about needing to install a new board or new PMU? or both. Can anyone please explain this to me or direct me to the place where this may have been answered already?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to exploring the forum.

I went with the "goodluckbuy" gimbal...it seems to be just fine for what i wanted and may be a cheaper alternative to what your looking to do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4