Basic questions moving beyond Beginner mode

Reaction score
Ive had my P3 Standard for a little over Eight weeks now and have more or less got used to the new user limitations with flights in my garden and a few in the park but im very cautious about sending the P3 out of my "comfort zone", so now want to extend my operations to the more advanced features and flying the machine a little furthur away with confidence. I have only used the beginner mode up till now, and want to have confidence in sending the unit further away across a field or two for example, my big fear is that it looses signal much closer to me, the operator, than I thought it would, in P mode, Apparently it should be at least 0.5KM. Do I need to use ATTI mode to get extra distance and height.
Also RTH mode, If i set the RTH min height to say 40ft does this mean that when RTH mode is activated the unit will automatically rise to 40ft altitude and keep that level until it reaches the set home point,
eg. If I flew the unit over some trees that were 30ft, the descended to a lower level beyond those trees, then activated RTH, would the unit ascend to 40ft immidiately and return home automatically clearing the 30ft trees.

Motor overload issue, sometimes I get a motor overload warning, even when the unit is simply idling awaiting take off immediately after a power-up, is this an issue I can solve with a "reset".

What sort of altitude should I be able to get from a STANDARD P3 ?

The instructions warn about flying over water, would crossing a river of about 25M cause any issues, we live nr to a wonderfull country riverside park, and Id love to get some great shots using the P3, but again im weary about sending it over the water, im certain its capable, its a confidence thing for me.

Apologies for the newbie questions, and I hope the make at least some sense, any advice is very much appreciated and will hopefully give me more confidence to get more from my P3.

I'd advise reading your manual at least twice from top to bottom.

RTH default height is 98 ft and is regarded as too low for most pilots. But yeah, it'll rise to your RTH height and fly straight home.

Confidence will come.

Welcome to the site!

I set my RTH altitude at 200 feet just to make sure I clear any trees or such on the return flight home if I'm ever forced to use this feature.

I'd say just go fly it. I only just took mine off beginner mode the last time I flew it. You will poop your pants when you see your £4×× phantom become a spec in the sky but just keep aware of what your doing and keep LOS.

I've set my RTH at 40m. This is something I've not used yet but plan on testing it today via the app, S2 switch then by turning the RC off.

Regards water just don't hover close to it as it will confuse the proximity sonsors.

RTH mode, If i set the RTH min height to say 40ft does this mean that when RTH mode is activated the unit will automatically rise to 40ft altitude and keep that level until it reaches the set home point,
eg. If I flew the unit over some trees that were 30ft, the descended to a lower level beyond those trees, then activated RTH, would the unit ascend to 40ft immidiately and return home automatically clearing the 30ft trees.
The altitude reported by your Phantom is just an estimate calculated with your Phantom's barometer. Since it's not unusual for it to be off by 10+ feet, it would be a good idea to add a sufficient cushion to your RTH altitude. For example, if you believe the tallest obstacle is 100 feet tall, you should set your RTH altitude to at least 150 feet.

Also, keep in mind that the RTH altitude is the height from the takeoff location. If you're flying in a hilly terrain and the takeoff location is at a lower point, you'll want to add even more of a cushion to the RTH altitude.

Note: The RTH altitude is in meters. There is no way to change that in DJI GO.

What sort of altitude should I be able to get from a STANDARD P3?
You should be able to reach a maximum of 500m over the takeoff location. If you're in the US, the FAA suggests flying below 400 feet AGL. If you're in a different country, check your local laws for any restrictions/suggestions.

The instructions warn about flying over water, would crossing a river of about 25M cause any issues
The P3S does not have VPS, so there are no sensors in your Phantom that'll be affected by water. Just be careful when flying very close to the surface of the water. It's an obstacle and one that you will not recover from if you crash into it.

Confidence in the Phantom & in yourself will come the more you fly. The first few times I flew after beginner mode, my biggest issue was figuring out which way my bird was facing, so I did use homelock a lot, read up about these features, in Homelock-pulling down on right stick your bird will always fly back to home, thus the name- Home lock.
As stated above- You can't read the manual to many times! Everytime I re-read manual, I discovered another "gem" that made me go- "Oh, I get it"!
My first flight, over a forest, i'd lost site of my bird & hit RTH, the feeling of seeing your Phantom coming back over those 40' trees is something I will never forget!
Read, read, read the manual!

How do I find 'homelock'?
Move the S1 switch to the bottom position. And, then do this in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-IOC-Menu-P3.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers