Base camp altitude question

HMR

Reaction score
I plan on buying and using a p3adv in Colorado this summer. The base camp is at 8800 feet. Does anyone have experience in flying one at this altitude? I only plan on taking it up a couple hundred feet but that's 9000. Can I assume she will not have the same flight time and might act a bit sluggish based on the thinner air. On a positive note I should get great gps reception.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I plan on buying and using a p3adv in Colorado this summer. The base camp is at 8800 feet. Does anyone have experience in flying one at this altitude? I only plan on taking it up a couple hundred feet but that's 9000. Can I assume she will not have the same flight time and might act a bit sluggish based on the thinner air. On a positive note I should get great gps reception.

I believe all national parks are no fly zones and have banned UAS/drone use in them. I would look into that first.

I believe all national parks are no fly zones and have banned UAS/drone use in them. I would look into that first.
Am I missing something? Where did OP ever mention National Parks?

I'd be interested in the answer to this question too. My ground elevation on my front porch is just over a mile high, and a lot of the scenic areas here are 7000'+ elevation. In fact, I've never flown from a home point that started below 5200', so I'm now kinda curious how these handle differently at sea level.

He didn't say he was flying in a national park unless I missed something... Anyways not sure about 8800'+ but I regularly fly above 7000', maybe topping out around 8000', with 20 minute flight times and plenty of control. That's with both a P3S and P3P.

There's YT video of a P2 I believe flying at Everest Base camp (17,000 IIRC). Looks sluggish but flying.

Am I missing something? Where did OP ever mention National Parks?

I'd be interested in the answer to this question too. My ground elevation on my front porch is just over a mile high, and a lot of the scenic areas here are 7000'+ elevation. In fact, I've never flown from a home point that started below 5200', so I'm now kinda curious how these handle differently at sea level.

He's in Colorado and he's at 8800FT. Chances are he will be visiting a national park. Just thought I'd point that out so he doesn't seem surprised if he gets his drone confiscated.

Anyways, according to the specs on the DJI website the maximum service ceiling is 6000M or just under 20000FT so I think OP will be fine at that altitude.

Tks all for the input so far. The property in question is private but borders on a national park so warnings are appreciated. However in 30 plus years I have never seen a ranger. It's not a very popular place for visitors. Most, if not all of my flying would be on private property owned by the immediate family.

Our property has some small cliffs and vertical rock walls that I thought would be really cool to video.

Tks for the info on the altitude. Good to know what the max ceiling is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair