Barrel Effect Question

Reaction score
First off, everyone on here has been a HUGE help, thank you! Awesome community...

Secondly, I am getting my Vision Plus tomorrow and in preparation I have been watching a lot of videos (also reading). I have noticed that most of the videos taken with the Vision Plus have a terrible "barrel effect" where the ground and horizon are distorted/bent. My question is, how easy in post video editing is it to remove this effect? Why don't more people do it?

Also has anyone noticed it not being such a problem in certain video setups? As in 1080 vs 720 ect....

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Bateman233 said:
First off, everyone on here has been a HUGE help, thank you! Awesome community...

Secondly, I am getting my Vision Plus tomorrow and in preparation I have been watching a lot of videos (also reading). I have noticed that most of the videos taken with the Vision Plus have a terrible "barrel effect" where the ground and horizon are distorted/bent. My question is, how easy in post video editing is it to remove this effect? Why don't more people do it?

Also has anyone noticed it not being such a problem in certain video setups? As in 1080 vs 720 ect....

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

The distortion is normal for a wide angle round lens. It is most noticeable at the top of the image. If can be removed in post (photo & video) if you have one of the Adobe products (and probably others with which I am unfamilar). There are three FOV (field of view settings) for the camera. The narrow you set the FOV, the less you will see the distortion.

Dirty Bird said:
There are three FOV (field of view settings) for the camera.

I don't have Vision+ but the specs say two FoV settings. And Adobe does not have a profile for Vision+ camera, but they have one for FC200 FoV 140 deg.

AnselA said:
Dirty Bird said:

I don't have Vision+ but the specs say two FoV settings. And Adobe does not have a profile for Vision+ camera, but they have one for FC200 FoV 140 deg.

Camera on p2v and p2v+ is the same, jsut different set up, and both are mysteriously known as the FC200, so that's the profile you wanna use. When i load the pics in Lightroom and use the lens correction, it automatically knows it's from the DJI FC200. If you have latest profiles loaded that is. :)

Didjelirium said:
AnselA said:
Dirty Bird said:

Camera on p2v and p2v+ is the same, jsut different set up, and both are mysteriously known as the FC200, so that's the profile you wanna use. When i load the pics in Lightroom and use the lens correction, it automatically knows it's from the DJI FC200. If you have latest profiles loaded that is. :)

As I said, Adobe FC200 profile is made for FoV 140 deg. Think about, what it means when correcting P2V+ images...

AnselA said:
Dirty Bird said:

Choose Vision instead the lens is the same. I've read that selecting GoPro works very nicely also.

Dirty Bird said:
AnselA said:
Dirty Bird said:

Choose Vision instead the lens is the same. I've read that selecting GoPro works very nicely also.

In image processing there's not "one and only solution". Photographers can use whatever they like. Think, why Adobe made a profile for FC200, if GoPro will do as well?

Another thing to keep in mind with either the vision or vision plus is that the distortion is much less pronounced when you level-off the camera. The more you tilt down, the more pronounced it will be. I actually try to keep mine tilted as high as it will go unless there's something specific to look at down below. Bear in mind this is on the Vision and not the + as I think the positioning of the camera too high will lead to props/propguards in the picture. I've never had that issue full tilt up with the vision.

Barrel Effect is like beauty....in the eye of the beholder.

It bothers some and not others

Personal preference.

It usually is more noticeable if you have a horizontal line to compare, like the horizon.

Remember, when you 'correct' it, you're really stretching part of the image to 'straighten' things out. That adds distortion. The program can't add content. It can only make up pixels by guessing what should be there. Some programs work better than others. You will need to judge if you like the corrected image better than the original one.

Another alternative is to change the camera lens to one without the wide angle distortion. Look for a separate thread discussing lens changing.

For videos I remove them in post on FCP. Would love to be able to change out the lens to a flat lens in the future, but I'd like to see a step by step video for it first before I even start dismantling the camera myself.

[vimeo]93151843[/vimeo]

Flighttime said:
For videos I remove them in post on FCP. Would love to be able to change out the lens to a flat lens in the future, but I'd like to see a step by step video for it first before I even start dismantling the camera myself.

[vimeo]93151843[/vimeo]

You don't have to do it yourself......a service will take your camera and change the lens and return it to you.

RedRyderMedia said:
Flighttime said:

[vimeo]93151843[/vimeo]

You don't have to do it yourself......a service will take your camera and change the lens and return it to you.

Ragecams? They're pretty pricey. I know there's another guy in this forum who has done it and was starting offer the service, but I read somewhere that he's stopped doing it because of the wear and tear caused to his gimbal unit from repeatedly dissassembling and reassembling it during testing customers' units.

I would love to be able to do it myself as I think with the P2V+ camera design its theoretically easier to take the lens apart than that on the P2V. Plus there would be minimal downtime frome shipping etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic