Bare bones P2 wanting to have it all!

Reaction score
I bought a FLYSIGHT BLACK PEARL ALL IN ONE FPV COMBO system for my bare bones Phantom 2 quadcopter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191385868822?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT I realize this mix of different equipment can make things tough to set up. Being limited on $$$, I looked for the best deals. It may cost me more in the long run....
I'm very new to this hobby and I have a question you might be able to help me.
I have a bare bones Phantom 2 that I added a DSLRPros 3 Axis Gimbal for the GoPro 3. I'm hoping the above FLYSIGHT BLACK PEARL system will work with this. If not please let me know what I'm needing.
The camera on the gimbal is a SJ4000. I don't think that will make much difference. Will it?
Does the system I bought give me OSD or do I need to buy something that ties into the FLYSIGHT system?
I apologize for my ignorance. I'm hoping to tie this all together to give me something I can use.

I also have the iPad apps SuperX and Ground Station. Will those apps work with the above equipment?

Its a little confusing as you have posted this in the Phantom 1 forum ... you also mention that you have the iPad app etc which wouldnt work with a phantom 1 or 2 ...

Do you have the Phantom 2 Vision, or phantom fc40 ?
If so, these work on different frequencies so the black pearl kit you have bought wont work.

The black pearl kit above transmits video on the 5.8ghz freq which is the same freq that the FC40 and Vision use to control the model, instead they use 2.4ghz for video which is the opposite for every other model (just about)

If you dont have the FC40 or Vision and just a normal Phantom 2 then yes the kit you bought will work fine, not sure how much range you would get from it though... personally i would have went with the more popular IMRC 600mW Vtx, Black Pearl 7ch combo ... but hey ho ..
Also, those apps wont work with the normal phantom as they are 2.4ghz

the SJ4000 cam is a great little cam, i have one myself. There is video out from it but its not very good, its a little laggy and afaik you have to turn on the output everytime you turn the camera on, which can be a bit annoying ... also you cant turn the cameras on screen display off either ...
You will also need to purchase a gopro video out cable for the SJ4000

OSD's .. there will be no OSD information on the kit you bought, but you can add that later .. providing you have the Phantom 2 .. it should have canbus and you should be able to add a MiniOSD etc

Sorry man... My bad. I thought I was in Phantom 2. Call it a fat finger deal I guess.
Can the moderator move it to the correct area?
Anyway....
Thanks much for your reply back. You gave me some great info there. I appreciate it.
Yeah. I do have the Phantom 2 base unit. Couldn't afford vision or vision +. I'll probably have more $$$ into it to buy a visio +. :) I bought it used and I'm just beginning. All of the parts I ordered for this was me reading through the messages here and figuring on what everyone was using then checking for deals on the web. It's not as good as buying everything made for that unit. I'm glad to hear I didn't make too many mistakes. :)
The 200mw TX is not the best but for now, I want to see how well it's going to work with a higher gain receive antenna? If I were to buy just the 600mw TX, would it plug and play with my receiver? Are the 5.8 channels all the same? Just curios right now.
By the way.... I really hope to get the OSD tied into the video someday soon. Any idea on what I would need to tie in with my system? If it's not too much I might go ahead and get it soon. A little more money couldn't hurt. I'm already in big trouble with my wife! :lol:
Thanks again for your info on this. I'll be checking in with the forum from time to time for sure.

No worries Crank, i just thought i'd clear it up before giving you wrong advice :)
I couldnt afford either the Phantom 2 or vision so opted for the V1.1.1 so your up on me :p

The black pearl monitor you have bought in the bundle is the 32ch version and will not play nice with the IMRC 600Mw Vtx ... they require the rarer 7ch version of the monitor as it closer matches the frequencies that IMRC use.

If i were you .. i would buy two Spironet antennas, one for the phantom and the other for one of the BP monitor ariels. I'd also buy a patch or Helical antenna for the 2nd diveristy antenna.

As you have the Phantom 2, it has Canbus support as far as i know so you can just buy the DJI iOSD Mini which is pretty cheap at £50 .. but it should plug n play

You da man Danny!
Thanks much! I'll let you know how this all works out.
Cheers

Regarding 5.8Ghz video transmitters/receivers: There are channel bands for Europe, China, and US (and maybe other regions). Most of the tx/rc chips are actually capable of switching bands by jumpering appropriate input pins. If you google around, sometimes you can find instructions for this.

Danny-B- said:
Its a little confusing as you have posted this in the Phantom 1 forum ... you also mention that you have the iPad app etc which wouldnt work with a phantom 1 or 2 ...

Do you have the Phantom 2 Vision, or phantom fc40 ?
If so, these work on different frequencies so the black pearl kit you have bought wont work.

The black pearl kit above transmits video on the 5.8ghz freq which is the same freq that the FC40 and Vision use to control the model, instead they use 2.4ghz for video which is the opposite for every other model (just about)

If you dont have the FC40 or Vision and just a normal Phantom 2 then yes the kit you bought will work fine, not sure how much range you would get from it though... personally i would have went with the more popular IMRC 600mW Vtx, Black Pearl 7ch combo ... but hey ho ..
Also, those apps wont work with the normal phantom as they are 2.4ghz
the SJ4000 cam is a great little cam, i have one myself. There is video out from it but its not very good, its a little laggy and afaik you have to turn on the output everytime you turn the camera on, which can be a bit annoying ... also you cant turn the cameras on screen display off either ...
You will also need to purchase a gopro video out cable for the SJ4000

OSD's .. there will be no OSD information on the kit you bought, but you can add that later .. providing you have the Phantom 2 .. it should have canbus and you should be able to add a MiniOSD etc

Hey Danny-B. I'm back with a question on your SJ4000 camera and Gimbal.
You can check out my other thread with a subject about being accessory crazy. I have the Zenmus H3-3D and I'm trying to mate the SJ4000 with it. The camera is about 1mm too big and the video out USB is too slim for the adapter I have. I even bought a special cable from China. It was for a GoPro 3. I can't find one for a SJ4000.
How did y'all do it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4