Baltimore County Parks employee told me to leave today

Reaction score
Seems that he had a personal issue with quadcopters. He told me that there are no quadcopters allowed in the park or any RC controlled Apparatus. After looking at the sign in front of the park it said unauthorized Motor Vehicles. I still haven't found out what the definition of motor vehicle is but according to him even the small RC cars the size of your fist or illegal. After question him about the reason why they're illegal he told me well we just had one crash the other day but couldn't give me any specifics couldn't tell me how many people a year have been hurt by drones or quadcopters however there was a 15 year old boy who was an employee there who told me he wants looked it up and saw that there have been no reported injuries due to quadcopters in 2014 to date but there have been 7 reported incidence of injuries in toilets. It's sad when a 15 year old has more common sense than a 30 something year old fat guy sitting behind a computer

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: dotcomray
It seems like this is happening occasionally - I saw a video where someone had a very similar confrontation and asked where it was written that he couldn't fly. Eventually he packed up and left. The hard thing is that if they have a sign that says no unauthorized motor vehicles - that could apply to a drone (or as you mention any other RC with a motor).

A "motorized vehicle" could also be a wheelchair...
I don't think it was intended to include RC aircraft or wheelchairs.

You could google your park's department, their ordinances should be available online. See if they say anything specific about RC vehicles.

There is a small rural ball park a few miles from my house. It has been one of my favorite "secluded" places to fly. The park is always empty unless a ball game is on. I went to fly there the other day and a big new sign has a whole list of rules, including "No RC craft of any type." ****.

I would email the parks direct to seek clarification... If they clarify and allow the use of R/C operated vehicles, print it off and keep it with you next time you go. Worse case scenario you will know 100% if you can or cannot fly there.

Next I am bringing a giant case and put one of those tiny quads that's the size of a match box in it. I'll walk to the field and as they tell me no ill open the case and pull it out and say loudly "really? This is not permitted"? I'm sure that's what they will say but at least I'll make them look stupid for a brief second in their life.

Reactions: johnnyu
I've already got 2 calls into supervisors above him to get clarification as to what constitutes an "unauthorized Motor vehicle. After that I will call Baltimore Countie's Executive. You see I'm retired police and my sister is a 911 operator and saved his wife last year who was having a stroke. They just had a gathering to give her an accomodation. We have their personal cell number. I'm not one to call in favors etc but I think a personal call to see how's she's doing and tell her my woes.

Reactions: Grimfever
Thankfully my reactions with cops have been more of Q&A variety. I've only had one incident where I got the no unauthorized vehicle rhetoric but before he could finish is statement, a kid on one of those motorised boards came by. An eerie silence fell for a few seconds and he just said have a nice day. Great!

Seems skateboards are banned to unless they have the stick coming out of it

Last edited:
I am a Marylander also not far from B-more, but I whipped out the quad yesterday AFTER a ballgame at a baseball field and nearly no one was around and still got some cautious "lets keep our whole family on this side of the park" behaviour from some folks. I send the bird up to about 150 feet to help calm peoples nerves, but people still froze in place, so I landed, shut it off, let them all get in cars and go or whatever, then proceeded to fly again way way off on a vacant part of the park. It was a photo mission for the grandkids as it was the end of a game season for them. I didnt fly long. go figure. Bad press on these things.

Last edited:
I am a Marylander also not far form B-more, but I whipped out the quad yesterday AFTER a ballgame at a baseball field and nearly no one was around and still got some cautious "lets keep our whole family on this side of the park" behaviour from some folks. I send the bird up to about 150 feet to help calm peoples nerves, but people still froze in place, so I landed, shut it off, let them all get in cars and go or whatever, then proceeded to fly again way way off on a vacant part of the park. It was a photo mission for the grandkids as it was the end of a game season for them. I didnt fly long. go figure. Bad press on these things.
Wow, the stories in the press really influence peoples take on things...

Fortunately my experiences in the UK have been positive... Men and women of all ages coming up to me in Awe and amazement of the sophistication of the P3P - more inquisitive and asking questions than judging me as being some kind of perve that wants to look at people...

It's a sad state of affairs that some people immediately look in fear and horror that you are piloting a wonderful piece of technology... After all I can see it being a part of our future ... All we have to do as a community is share knowledge and fly responsibly and show people that we are not what the press (a lot of the time) makes us out to be...

Reactions: Grimfever
A lot if city parks have had RC bans for a long time. Before drones came on the scene. Note, they can only prohibit takeoff or landing, not overflight.

A lot if city parks have had RC bans for a long time. Before drones came on the scene. Note, they can only prohibit takeoff or landing, not overflight.
Correct but what would antagonizing a city and park authority just to prove a point benefit? Surely just take it to the next park down the road?

now Estes rockets?! yep. I am the reason they are banned at one park near me. Hey...it wasnt my model but I flew it and zipped bast some picnickers.

There is a small rural ball park a few miles from my house. It has been one of my favorite "secluded" places to fly. The park is always empty unless a ball game is on. I went to fly there the other day and a big new sign has a whole list of rules, including "No RC craft of any type." ****.

Really? Wow. Sorry to hear that.
Somebody probably got hysterical, ran to the city manager complaining of the danger some irresponsible moron with a drone was putting the community in blah blah blah......and there ya are.

Geez. What's next?

Correct but what would antagonizing a city and park authority just to prove a point benefit? Surely just take it to the next park down the road?

Not always an easy option. I've always said that if we as a community don't stick together rather than bustin each others chops over harmless fodder when it's not necessary then we'll end up regulated to only flying inside our own homes...with FAA and local government permission...of course. ;)

"slightly" exaggerated...maybe...but ....

Once the ship sails, hard as heck to turn it around

now Estes rockets?! yep. I am the reason they are banned at one park near me. Hey...it wasnt my model but I flew it and zipped bast some picnickers.

i loved Estes rockets growing up, but was such a pain in the *** to get engines back then (yea, I'm old..). Now you can get them at the local hobby store, so was thinking of getting my 8 year old son into it... at least that way he'll stop asking me to fly my Phantom!!!

............. thinking of getting my 8 year old son into it... at least that way he'll stop asking me to fly my Phantom!!!
I always have to let my 13 year old grandson have his turn flying when he's with me, too. I have a second P3P, never flown, backup, I could give him. But maybe not for another year or two and he matures a bit more.

I always have to let my 13 year old grandson have his turn flying when he's with me, too. I have a second P3P, never flown, backup, I could give him. But maybe not for another year or two and he matures a bit more.

I'll let my son take off, and go up about 30-40 feet and hover, or go forward/backward a bit. But my hands are always 2 inches from the controller... lol...

i loved Estes rockets growing up, but was such a pain in the *** to get engines back then (yea, I'm old..). Now you can get them at the local hobby store, so was thinking of getting my 8 year old son into it... at least that way he'll stop asking me to fly my Phantom!!!

get him a syma 5, then if he can get it away from you, I'm sure he can learn to fly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20