Balancing self-tightening props

Reaction score
A while back I bought a Dubro True-Spin propeller balancer. A very sensitive, precision instrument when levelled properly. Unfortunately, the shaft supplied by Dubro is designed to work with propellers that have a hole through the middle.

I put a bit of pink fuel pipe over the end of the shaft and this allowed me to “sort of” screw on CW and CCW props and then “sort of” balance them, but I never felt that I was getting entirely accurate results.

I was browsing through another RC forum when I came across Muscleflex's prop balancer shaft.

This has been purpose built to work with the Dubro balancer and DJI self-tightening props. It has the CW thread at one end and the CCW end at the other, and one end is coloured black to show that it is for the props with the black nut (CCW). It has been beautifully machined from aluminium rod, and I have to say that it works very well indeed. I have had it about a week now and I have used it to re-balance all my props very accurately.

I am now going to get my local machinist to make me some threaded collars for each end so that I can screw my Phantom's motor bells in and balance them as well.

Balanced props and motors mean :

1. The engines use less power, so you get more flight time
2. There is less engine wear
3. You can shoot cleaner video because there is less vibration through the airframe

I can thoroughly recommend these rods and anybody who wants one should do what I did and email

[email protected]

He will email you back and tell you how to go about getting one. They are not expensive and he is a jolly nice chap. I got mine in 3 days.

Attachments

• dubro.jpg
    dubro.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 892
  • 20140922_000722.jpg
    20140922_000722.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 905
  • 20140922_000640.jpg
    20140922_000640.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 915
  • 20140922_001020.jpg
    20140922_001020.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 898
itchybeard said:
I was browsing through another RC forum when I came across Muscleflex's prop balancer shaft.

I am now going to get my local machinist to make me some threaded collars for each end so that I can screw my Phantom's motor bells in and balance them as well.

I got the prop balance rods as well... i would be very interested in this motor collars if you can have a few sets made... i would definitely pay for a set of those :ugeek:

I purchased muscleflex's balance shaft - great person to work with and the piece is extremely well made and works perfect. Highly recommend it.

mmmmm, I presume after reading this, that it would be beneficial for me to balance even the stock Prop's then? and how do you mean guys "Balance the Motor bells" Sorry if I sound a bit Stoopid!!

and Thanks.

Snowdug said:
mmmmm, I presume after reading this, that it would be beneficial for me to balance even the stock Prop's then? and how do you mean guys "Balance the Motor bells" Sorry if I sound a bit Stoopid!!

and Thanks.

Yes, DJI's props are better balanced than the "clones" on the market, but I have found that most DJI props are not accurately balanced at all. So it would be a good idea if you balanced yours.

The "motor bell" is the bit of the motor that you can see sticking out of the Phantom. It's the bit that spins. They can be removed by opening up the Phantom undoing the motor screws underneath and then removing the circlip under the motor. Once this is done the bell can be pulled off. These bells can be balanced using the appropriate shaft.

Attachments

• motor bell.png
    motor bell.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 946
Hey thanks Itchy B. Now I know.

Another vote here for Muscelflex and his balancing rod. Superb product and excellent customer service.

Itchybeard, I would also be interested in a set of collars for the motor bell. If you would keep me in mind I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jetlagged787 said:
Itchybeard, I would also be interested in a set of collars for the motor bell. If you would keep me in mind I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Noted, Jet, I will definitely get more than one set made and you are no. 2 on the list after DBS.

itchybeard said:
Jetlagged787 said:

Noted, Jet, I will definitely get more than one set made and you are no. 2 on the list after DBS.

That's appreciated. Thanks.

For those of us in the States...quick shipping....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171447421755?lpid=82

FYI, I balanced a new set of DJI props this weekend...2 were spot on right out of the package, 2 needed minimal sanding...far better quality than the Graupner's I use on my Disco Pro...

DBS said:
I got the prop balance rods as well... i would be very interested in this motor collars if you can have a few sets made... i would definitely pay for a set of those :ugeek:

Jetlagged787 said:

Update ....

Okay gents, I have just got back from my machinist's workshop and have ordered our "motor collars" as promised. He says he'll have them done before the end of next week and has quoted me a very reasonable price :)

How exactly do you test and balance them ?
Spin the prop and I'm guessing if it leans to the side or something to that affect it needs to be balanced ?

To balance it you sand it gently ??
Sounds like the sanding/fixing part should be left to some one who knows what they are doing yeah ??

justin00 said:
Spin the prop and I'm guessing if it leans to the side or something to that affect it needs to be balanced ?

Sounds like the sanding/fixing part should be left to some one who knows what they are doing yeah ??

Some people sand the underside of the prop towards the trailing edge on the tip of the heavy blade. Others (like myself) add weight to the light blade using lacquer. I spray lacquer onto a cotton bud (q-tip) and then smear a thin layer onto the underside of the tip of the light blade.

It's not rocket science, Justin, we're talking about small fractions of a gram here, but the Dubro prop-balancer is sensitive enough to reveal it and the heavy blade will fall.

A fraction of a gram imbalance is magnified many times during flight because the props spin extremely fast at flight speed.

I made my own prop balancer that works great . It cost me nothing to make. , see my post 9/27/14 in fc40 forum

Good to know about balancing props but how do you balance them after using the Dubro balancer.

Do you add scotch tape or do you sand that side lightly, can someone show just how the whole balancing process works

Thanks for all the help

Joe

Itchybeard could I get in on the collars for the motor? I've have had muscleflex's rod for quite some time now and love it. Wouldn't buy from anyone else as he's just a good guy

itchybeard said:
justin00 said:

Some people sand the underside of the prop towards the trailing edge on the tip of the heavy blade. Others (like myself) add weight to the light blade using lacquer. I spray lacquer onto a cotton bud (q-tip) and then smear a thin layer onto the underside of the tip of the light blade.

It's not rocket science, Justin, we're talking about small fractions of a gram here, but the Dubro prop-balancer is sensitive enough to reveal it and the heavy blade will fall.

A fraction of a gram imbalance is magnified many times during flight because the props spin extremely fast at flight speed.
I'd love to see a video of the lacquer being applied because I'm just as newbie as Justin when it comes to balancing props.

I definitely want to do this but I lack the technique. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik