Balancing Props - Which do you do first- blade or hub?

Reaction score
I'm wanting to balance my propellors however, I don't know if I should balance the blades first or the hubs? From what I have seen online, they both may need to be done?

I'm wanting to balance my propellors however, I don't know if I should balance the blades first or the hubs? From what I have seen online, they both may need to be done?
I'm no expert but the blades would have the most influence of the balance. I don't see how you could balance the hub first. It would be the least out of balance.

Reactions: Slackware
any hu
I'm no expert but the blades would have the most influence of the balance. I don't see how you could balance the hub first. It would be the least out of balance.
Any hub so out of balance needing to be done first you could see with your eye just looking at it.

Last edited:
Thanks alokbhargava, I don't have any problems balancing the blades however, when balancing the hubs I have to use a considerable amount of tape. Which leads me to believe I may be better off to sand the opposite side of the hub and eliminate the tape?

As a long time model aircraft hobbyist, I'd suggest that balancing the blades with a good balancing rig, like the DuBro is fine. If the hub is out of balance enough to be a concern, the overall blade is probably out of spec. Given the relatively low blade prices, I'd just try another blade...

As a long time model aircraft hobbyist, I'd suggest that balancing the blades with a good balancing rig, like the DuBro is fine. If the hub is out of balance enough to be a concern, the overall blade is probably out of spec. Given the relatively low blade prices, I'd just try another blade...

Are the du bro use to balance p4 blades? What is the best way to find out if the blades need balancing prior to purchasing the balancer? Thanks

U.K. London Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Reactions: crash1sttime
Are the du bro use to balance p4 blades?
You can use the Du-Bro 499 prop balancer since it comes with a rod that'll fit the P4 props. If you have a different prop balancer, you'll need to buy a compatible prop balancing rod. You can find a list of compatible prop balancing rods here.

What is the best way to find out if the blades need balancing prior to purchasing the balancer?
Most props are pretty well balanced out of the box. I've never received four props that were perfectly balanced though. You'll definitely need at least a prop balancing rod to check them. You can set the rod on top of a drinking glass. It's not as convenient/accurate as using a prop balancer, but it'll show you if the prop needs to be balanced.

Reactions: hotashes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers