Balancing Props - Required or Optional

Reaction score
First, great to find this forum. I'm a complete and utter newb with Quads or anything that flys really, and getting into the groove with my new Phantom 2 Vision Plus has proven to be highly frustrating so far. Still working the bugs out of my replacement (the first one took off on it's own during initial tests and met with a tree).

I have been testing my investment and even with prop guards and the carbon fiber bottom plate to protect the gimble and cam, I have managed to destroy a set of blades first day out.

I have not balanced my props... don't have the stuff to even try. But my question is, do you balance props because you're trying to optimize your journey (high performance quad user) OR.... do you balance your props because it's absolutely necessary ?

Thanks for the opinion.

Cheers
rcohen

rcohen said:
First, great to find this forum. I'm a complete and utter newb with Quads or anything that flys really, and getting into the groove with my new Phantom 2 Vision Plus has proven to be highly frustrating so far. Still working the bugs out of my replacement (the first one took off on it's own during initial tests and met with a tree).

I have been testing my investment and even with prop guards and the carbon fiber bottom plate to protect the gimble and cam, I have managed to destroy a set of blades first day out.

I have not balanced my props... don't have the stuff to even try. But my question is, do you balance props because you're trying to optimize your journey (high performance quad user) OR.... do you balance your props because it's absolutely necessary ?

Thanks for the opinion.

Cheers
rcohen

Just put them on and go.

Original equipment DJI props are pretty well balanced. Use them as is. A prop rod and a Dubro balancer is the proper way. Another alternative is to buy a prop rod from one of the sources and use a glass as some of the members here do without the use of the Dubro balancer. After market props should definitely be checked.

You balance to reduce the chance of micro vibrations that transfer to the motors and the airframe. Vibrations = bad.

I have the DuBro/rod balancer, but to be honest I've never really used it. :lol:

Gone through about 4 full sets (that's like.. 16 propellers) without any problems.

depends if you just a park flyer and dont give a S%#! or you want a smooth ride good video with out vibration.

I think with dji products vibration to the naza can cause crashes, so its probably better to balance props. but not totally necessary!

by the way you dont need a prop balancer just stick a pen or something in the hole. :lol:

It will give a pretty good idea of how bad or good your balance is.

For quite a long time I was not really confident with my P2 position holding accurracy. The P2 was new with original DJI props mounted, no crashs.
At some day I tryed hand-catching it and wondered about a significant vibration level at the skids. I tried balancing the props, but they seemed all to be ok. So I decided to check them dynamically.
I just mounted a single prop and started the engines up to about takeoff rpm, one hand at a skid for fixing and checking vibrations. Three props were not causing vibrations but the fourth did. I then looked from the side into the turning prop, where you should normally see just a single line. I saw two lines which means that the prop blades have different pitch, causing the vibration. After replacing the warped prop, vibrations were gone and my P2 is flying significantly better.

Meanwhile I don't even try static balancing anymore, just dynamic balancing. If a prop causes vibration I first check if it is warped. If not, I try with adding a piece of tape to one of the blades and optimising this until vibration is gone.

Regards, Gerd

happydays said:
Thesmokeshow said:
by the way you dont need a prop balancer just stick a pen or something in the hole. :lol:

How will you determine if the pen is in balance? Phew!
Agreed. Balancing = precision. A pen is not precise.

I vote "yes" on balancing your props. I've seen what unbalanced props can do with the "jello effect" and filming. Plus, as another member pointed out, it causes vibrations, and vibrations are bad, especially over time. So I'd say its a must. Just my 2 cents.

J.

With my P2V, I never cared - the video was pretty shakey while flying at any speed. Then I got a P2V+ and it was so incredible - buttery smooth video. But now, after over 50 flights, something is causing minor jello in my video. I'll swap out the props and see - and if that helps, will balance the current ones.

Thesmokeshow said:
depends if you just a park flyer and dont give a S%#! or you want a smooth ride good video with out vibration.

I think with dji products vibration to the naza can cause crashes, so its probably better to balance props. but not totally necessary!

Totally my idea.
I balanced the props, yes they are pretty close to being balanced but it gives me reassurance that the bird has less vibration.
I had a faulty GPS module due to broken connection that were the result of vibrations.
I've done more the 100 flights with the bird and i would recommend to take a hour time to balance the props.
It doesn't have to cost a lot of money.
I toke a 5mm piece of rod and on one end i putted some masking tape ( 3 turns, could be 4 or 5, forgot ) and thats more then enough to balance them.
Yes the DJI props are almost in balance, out of the 20 props i have only 1 toke a wile to get it fixed and on 1 i had no work.
Its not mandatory but it will eliminate some possible issue's.

GerdS said:
For quite a long time I was not really confident with my P2 position holding accurracy. The P2 was new with original DJI props mounted, no crashs.
At some day I tryed hand-catching it and wondered about a significant vibration level at the skids. I tried balancing the props, but they seemed all to be ok. So I decided to check them dynamically.
I just mounted a single prop and started the engines up to about takeoff rpm, one hand at a skid for fixing and checking vibrations. Three props were not causing vibrations but the fourth did. I then looked from the side into the turning prop, where you should normally see just a single line. I saw two lines which means that the prop blades have different pitch, causing the vibration. After replacing the warped prop, vibrations were gone and my P2 is flying significantly better.

Meanwhile I don't even try static balancing anymore, just dynamic balancing. If a prop causes vibration I first check if it is warped. If not, I try with adding a piece of tape to one of the blades and optimising this until vibration is gone.

Regards, Gerd

GREAT advice, I'll check for that... thanks.

And thanks for ALL of the comments on this thread... much appreciated.

rcohen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4