Balancing Integrated Nut Props

Reaction score
Another take on using the DuBro

I've been having pretty consistent good results with this method of balancing the props with a DuBro, so I thought I'd share.

1. Position a centering cone so it just makes contact with the Prop at the same point at which the balance shaft with a chamfered end almost bottoms out in the prop. This is pretty easy to set up.

2. Use a small rare earth magnet on the end of the "spinner" to hold the prop centered on the balance shaft, and balance as normal.

It doesn't seem to be fussy once you have it set up correctly, props go on and off quickly. At first I was just using the magnet, and it was working ok. Then I sanded a very small flat on the end of the spinner, and that seemed to make it a little better.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Do you find that the P2V props need much balancing? I thought one of the advantages of this newer style was a better balance right out of the box.... Also, do you balance the hub using this setup?

Topeeka said:
Do you find that the P2V props need much balancing? I thought one of the advantages of this newer style was a better balance right out of the box.... Also, do you balance the hub using this setup?

I have not tried tuning the hubs. I have not yet tried the Vision props either, but I will within a few days when I get them.

The Phantom props have been about 85% true out of the box for me. Although, it just takes a tip over, or a kiss with a branch to get a chip, and need a touch-up balance. If you have a DuBro, or similar balancer already, then this is basically a $0.00 solution.

Thanks Dave, great idea. And great pics too :)

I'll have to give that a shot, I don't trust the results I've gotten with other methods of checking the self-tightening 8045's on the du-bro.

Thanks Dave...I appreciate hearing from someone with actual experience with the P2V props. When I ordered mine, I got the Top Flite balancer...and then found out that it won't work with the self-tightening props. I'm very happy with the 'trade-off' though...and since I did not even open the box of the Top-Flite, I have not lost anything...

Dave Pitman said:
... Then I sanded a very small flat on the end of the spinner, and that seemed to make it a little better ...

That's it! Now you've gone and done it. I was wondering what that tear in the fabric of the time/space continuum was caused by.

No more balance and harmony in the universe.

...and the aerodynamics are ruined... just ruined I say! :mrgreen:

*ordering a dubro next week... was trying to figure out how to set this cheap balancer up I have, but it will be tenuous at best with my Rube Goldberg contraption

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20