Bad Rolling Shutter (and other oddities)?

Reaction score
So I shot a video with my P3A and there are definitely some quality concerns.

One thing that was mentioned to me is bad rolling shutter. Here is a clip (about 100 MB) that I hope you can download from dropbox and take a look at.

Dropbox - front_flyover5.MOV

If you want to watch the final video then you can view it here:

To me it seems like a lot of aliasing and sometimes the details are just blocked up.

Any thoughts on how to get cleaner footage?

Thanks in advance.

The rolling shutter I noticed was at about the 1:14 mark of your YouTube video while you were descending. Are your props balanced? I experienced a similar issue when descending and braking and one of my props was horribly unbalanced.

Reactions: Just Mark
The rolling shutter I noticed was at about the 1:14 mark of your YouTube video while you were descending. Are your props balanced? I experienced a similar issue when descending and braking and one of my props was horribly unbalanced.
Thanks for the note.

How do I tell if my props are balanced???

Aside from rolling shutter there was a lot of times where some of the detail in the trees looks just like it was blocked up.

I use a Du-bro prop balancer with the balancing rod, I purchased mine on Amazon, it does a great job. As far as the detail in the trees goes is this before editing as well or just after the rendered export? Many time pixelation and loss of details can occur due to encoder compression of the exported file.

I use a Du-bro prop balancer with the balancing rod, I purchased mine on Amazon, it does a great job. As far as the detail in the trees goes is this before editing as well or just after the rendered export? Many time pixelation and loss of details can occur due to encoder compression of the exported file.
Thank you again for the suggestion.

You can see a clip straight from the camera on the P3a by downloading from dropbox here:

It looks quite "shakey" to me which I am assuming is rolling shutter.

Thank you again for the suggestion.

You can see a clip straight from the camera on the P3a by downloading from dropbox here:

It looks quite "shakey" to me which I am assuming is rolling shutter.
Oh It's more apparent in that video, many times rolling shutter / jello can be caused by the sun and the blades of the Phantom. Sometimes this can be fixed by using ND filters, have you tried any yet? I saw a good article on it somewhere one time I'll see if I can dig it up.

Oh It's more apparent in that video, many times rolling shutter / jello can be caused by the sun and the blades of the Phantom. Sometimes this can be fixed by using ND filters, have you tried any yet? I saw a good article on it somewhere one time I'll see if I can dig it up.
Thank you again for the suggestions and the links.

I will look into those possible solutions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik