bad pixels in vision camera

Reaction score
I've got some pink pixels that appear the same way in every frame in both the upper left and upper right corner of my still pics. Anyone else have this problem?

Sample image here: http://galleries.ronhiner.com/opf/dji00007.jpg

Also, is this typical of the resolution for this camera? zooming in to the detail is pretty ugly. Looks like way overdone jpeg compression. I'm waiting on the raw support to get clean pictures. But so far, I have not been able to get any clean images.

thanks!

I have the same thing. Here is a zoomed and cropped example so it can be easily seen - consistently in the same place in every large image. It does not show up if I shoot at the small JPG size. I considered returning the Vision for this since it was hefty investment but after reading about the soft focus issues others have (and I don't) I decided to live with it. Any images I use from the Vision will be processed in Photoshop anyway so I can just crop it out. Your issue looks to be much more obvious than the one I have.

Yes, the JPG compression is horrible - especially in low light. Don't hold your breath for the RAW converter. Rumor has it that it isn't going to happen. Instead, DJI is working with Adobe to convert to .DNG files.

Attachments

• bad pixels.jpg
    bad pixels.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,059
Hello. Yes the pink/purple artefacts have been noticed by some others. Defective camera. Contact your dealer and arrange for a replacement under warranty.

The harsh compression is, unfortunately, a feature they all have. There is a firmware update coming "soon" to allow the camera to shoot in DNG RAW format - this is much anticipated by most of us!

EDIT: Or live with it as above. Choice is yours.... :D

Someone in the Facebook group "DJI Phantom 2 Vision Owners Page" posted an almost identical problem, returned his Vision to the dealer for assessment and they confirmed that it's faulty. He said it only did that on the large image size.

Looks to me like faulty RAM causing corruption to a bitmap prior to JPEG compression.

Personally, I'd send it back whether I was satisfied with the RAW images or not. By the time you can see your RAW file, it could be too late to deal with this problem.

At the end of the day, if DJI's firmware update to save to DNG format doesn't fix the poor files problem, the next best option is to go to Ragecams and have them replace the Vision camera with better glass with a narrower FOV. This may ultimately be the best route anyway - even after a DJI firmware upgrade to a professional file format. The cost (at this writing) for the Ragecam camera swap-out is approx $500. The total cost for a Phantom2V with better glass (and DNG format) would then be approx. $1,800. This includes the mysterious "lens adapters" and a set of 46mm grad ND filters that I consider mandatory for these aerial shots. $1,800 is slightly more than HALF of the cost of a top-end Nikon DSLR.

I'm still hoping the firmware upgrade to DNG will produce nice juicy files that I can tweak in post. Also, remember that Adobe has a prelim "lens correction" filter for PShop. It works to remove some of the lens distortion and vignetting, but the native files are still severely compressed JPEGS with all the fuzz you'd expect.

Yesterday can't be too soon on the DJI firmware upgrade! :ugeek:

hollowneck said:
At the end of the day, if DJI's firmware update to save to DNG format doesn't fix the poor files problem, the next best option is to go to Ragecams and have them replace the Vision camera with better glass with a narrower FOV. This may ultimately be the best route anyway - even after a DJI firmware upgrade to a professional file format. The cost (at this writing) for the Ragecam camera swap-out is approx $500. The total cost for a Phantom2V with better glass (and DNG format) would then be approx. $1,800. This includes the mysterious "lens adapters" and a set of 46mm grad ND filters that I consider mandatory for these aerial shots. $1,800 is slightly more than HALF of the cost of a top-end Nikon DSLR.

I'm still hoping the firmware upgrade to DNG will produce nice juicy files that I can tweak in post. Also, remember that Adobe has a prelim "lens correction" filter for PShop. It works to remove some of the lens distortion and vignetting, but the native files are still severely compressed JPEGS with all the fuzz you'd expect.

Yesterday can't be too soon on the DJI firmware upgrade! :ugeek:
“RageCams and I have reached a mutual agreement. I am happy, they are happy. End of story. I did get the 2nd Camera modification to work and I will post pictures next week.”
Allan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20