Bad Idea?

Reaction score
Im camping with my drones (p3ps) and trying to look things up, type this on a cell phone.
My question.......im on top of a hill camping roughly a quarter mile away is a cliff(80ft or so) , at the bottom is a lake. Now...from where im at down to the top of that cliff is about a 400 ft difference..im higher. I have 2 batteries left out of 10...haha....i want to drop that drone down the face of the cliff...hover above the water and fly it back....but being new to theses im worried about losing reception once it goes below the trees and the rock face. Im not worried about LOS...this is owned by me and im in no where land. There is no chance of the drone hurting anyone and im going to stay just above the trees. 150ft or so from the ground.

Ok...to you pros is this a bad idea as far as reception goes? Id hate to lose the drone but i really want to see an area where i cant get to easily.

Im camping with my drones (p3ps) and trying to look things up, type this on a cell phone.
My question.......im on top of a hill camping roughly a quarter mile away is a cliff(80ft or so) , at the bottom is a lake. Now...from where im at down to the top of that cliff is about a 400 ft difference..im higher. I have 2 batteries left out of 10...haha....i want to drop that drone down the face of the cliff...hover above the water and fly it back....but being new to theses im worried about losing reception once it goes below the trees and the rock face. Im not worried about LOS...this is owned by me and im in no where land. There is no chance of the drone hurting anyone and im going to stay just above the trees. 150ft or so from the ground.

Ok...to you pros is this a bad idea as far as reception goes? Id hate to lose the drone but i really want to see an area where i cant get to easily.
If you fly behind obstacles that block your signal, you can lose signal which will trigger RTH.
Trees are obstacles. A branch or two won't block signal but if you have enough trees between you and the Phantom you can lose signal.
Do you properly understand how RTH works?
On loss of signal for 3 seconds, the Phantom will rise vertically to the RTH height you have set (measured above launch point) and come home.
Make sure that there are no obstacles to block the RTH path.

If you fly behind obstacles that block your signal, you can lose signal which will trigger RTH.
Trees are obstacles. A branch or two won't block signal but if you have enough trees between you and the Phantom you can lose signal.
Do you properly understand how RTH works?
On loss of signal for 3 seconds, the Phantom will rise vertically to the RTH height you have set (measured above launch point) and come home.
Make sure that there are no obstacles to block the RTH path.
Thank you!
Im really new to this...the batteries i went through the past 2 days is the most ive ever flown one. When practicing, i was set on beginner..but the problem was that 97ft wasn,t high enough to clear some tree tops. Haha... today i did alot of hovering and panning areas...when i got to the water i wasn't confident enough in my skills to lower it below 150ft. I was still able to catch some really cool video. Now, I have to learn a little editing.

These things are really fun....i cant wait to learn how to use everything better...

Thanks again!

Reactions: BigAl07
Ohh...and the tablet im using is about as cheap as they come.The video reception glitches,stops, etc....between that and being green... i just wasnt going to try to do what i originally had in mind..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl