Bad Elf GPS for Lightning Connector ????

Reaction score
I ordered a Ipad 4 Mini WiFi without Cellular. I'm thinking about buying the
Bad Elf GPS for Lightning Connector

Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS for Lightning Connector: GPS & Navigation

Question I have.....If I wanted to use this in my vehicle with the I Pad mini as a simple GPS device, could I use a lightning extension cord to mount the GPS unit on the dash board where it will afford better reception?

Is this a good choice to add GPS to the Ipad mini and work well with the P3 Advanced?

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions. Just starting out and learning a ton from you folks!

Yes you could use lightening extension cord.

Once you use lightening port with GPS, it won't be available for connection to RC.

"Once you use lightening port with GPS, it won't be available for connection to RC."

Hmmmm... I'd not thought about this! And there is no work around? No "Lightning "Y" Adapter" ? I'm relatively new to the Lightning Port.

I ordered a Ipad 4 Mini WiFi without Cellular. I'm thinking about buying the
Bad Elf GPS for Lightning Connector

Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS for Lightning Connector: GPS & Navigation

Question I have.....If I wanted to use this in my vehicle with the I Pad mini as a simple GPS device, could I use a lightning extension cord to mount the GPS unit on the dash board where it will afford better reception?

Is this a good choice to add GPS to the Ipad mini and work well with the P3 Advanced?

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions. Just starting out and learning a ton from you folks!
Yes, using external bluetooth GPS devices work well. Most often mentioned in this forum are the Bad Elf, Dual, and Garmin GLO.

Problem with external GPS devices is that

1. They should be placed at a location which is open to sky.

2. You can't easily move with the device with RC on one hand. It's not car that you mount it on dash and it moves with you.

3. Need one more power supply.

Why not just get a cellular iPad?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd like to use the Ipad Mini as a GPS in my truck and I've been told that the GPS on the Ipad Mini is not very good. Plus in the truck the ipad lives down low on the console so a remote GPS unit can be placed up higher on the dash board and have much better reception and therefore better accuracy.

On the P3A remote control, the Garmin GPS can easily be mounted with Velcro on the Ipad clamp.

Why not just get a cellular iPad?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
From what I have gathered by reading the forum over time, here are a few reasons that have stood out to me....

Some don't realize that GPS at the RC is required for some features. Once they do realize, they don't want to spend for an entirely new tablet so external GPS is a good option.

Some see that the added cost to buy a cellular iPad is about the same as buying a wifi iPad + external GPS. Once they have the external GPS, they don't have to spend that extra money over and over again every time they upgrade their iPad.

Some realize that the functions which require GPS at the RC are cool, but they know they will not use them very often so the added cost of a cellular iPad is not worth it to them.

I asked Bad Elf about the ability to use the lightning connector on the I pad Mini for both the external GPS and the attachment to the DJI controller.

As we expected, no can do!

Roy,

Sorry about that I didn't know the full picture. The DJI phantom controller needs use of the lightning port and as you noted that precludes the use of the direct connect model that we have in our stable. The only real solution that we know of is the one you suggest, a bluetooth model to leave the socket on your Apple device free.

Best Regards,

John McLellan
C.H.ElF (Chief Helper Elf)
Bad Elf, LLC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31