Bad Camera Tilt After Repair - Need Help :-(

Reaction score
Hi all, replaced my roll and yaw arm and ribbon cable after a crash on ,y P3 Advanced. After much fiddling I've gotten things back to working - sort of...

The camera is tilted badly to the left when facing the copter. I can manually put it straight and it will hold that position until I move the copter around. Also have very bad image stabilization when I move the copter around.

I've aligned all the "D" shafts and checked things multiple times. None of the boards appear to have any physical damage. I calibrated the IMU and the gimbal. Seems like it may be a hard part issue, yet I am not sure what/where? Maybe I misinterpreted how to align things...? I've tried adjusting the gimbal via the software and it doesn't affect anything as to the tilt of the camera b/c it's so severe.

Hoping someone has the magic words to help :)

Thanks so much!

Mark Tilted Camera.jpg

Did you do the alignment with the roll motor shaft. Take the back panel off and make sure the flat part of the shaft is horizontal. Maybe the part that the shaft goes through is bad. (potentiometer) It's hard for this old guy to remember, but I think it reads 4 ohms at the top and the bottom will be 0. Turn it a quarter and it should be 2 and 2. Half and it will be opposite with 0 at the top and 4 ohms on the bottom.

Hi all, replaced my roll and yaw arm and ribbon cable after a crash on ,y P3 Advanced. After much fiddling I've gotten things back to working - sort of...

The camera is tilted badly to the left when facing the copter. I can manually put it straight and it will hold that position until I move the copter around. Also have very bad image stabilization when I move the copter around.

I've aligned all the "D" shafts and checked things multiple times. None of the boards appear to have any physical damage. I calibrated the IMU and the gimbal. Seems like it may be a hard part issue, yet I am not sure what/where? Maybe I misinterpreted how to align things...? I've tried adjusting the gimbal via the software and it doesn't affect anything as to the tilt of the camera b/c it's so severe.

Hoping someone has the magic words to help :)

Thanks so much!

Mark View attachment 112003
i had the same issue on my P3P after a crash, had to replace roll motor and issue fixed.

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies. I do have the flat part of the shaft horizontal. Should it be facing up or down? I used several videos I found online to make the adjustment so I believe I did it correctly.

For clarity when you say replaced your roll motor did you replace the motor and the circuit board?

Thanks so much,
Mark

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies. I do have the flat part of the shaft horizontal. Should it be facing up or down? I used several videos I found online to make the adjustment so I believe I did it correctly.

For clarity when you say replaced your roll motor did you replace the motor and the circuit board?

Thanks so much,
Mark
no just the roll motor.

Thanks! I read somewhere the motors and the boards are matched... Seemingly you didn't experience this if you just replaced the motor and not the board. I am concerned of continuing to put money into the camera and gimbal if there's a fatal issue and I end up buying a whole new camera setup anyway.

I am going to try and put the shaft out of alignment to see if that changes anything. Not sure what that would tell if it does make a difference...

Thanks,

Mark

Yes Mark when replacing parts on a crashed drone can add up, but you should be able to pickup a new roll motor cheap on Ebay, that's what I did and hope that the gimbal board is ok.

Hi all, thanks again for keeping this thread going. I tried using the "D shaft" to adjust out the tilt of the camera. I was able to get it to tilt the opposite way. In a final attempt, I rolled the shaft all the way around from where it had started. That yielded the camera returning to level normal operation :)

I don't totally understand how rotating the shaft all the way around and aligning it as normal made it work again... I did note a small piece of debris (not sure what it was - looked like a piece of the plastic part of the potentiometer housing) that came out of the area where the "D shaft" goes into the electronic board. I wouldn't think that the electronics would know how many rotations the shaft makes outside of the board nor would the motor care where it begins or ends. Potentially whatever came out of the shaft area was interrupting the signal or I have a bad spot on the motor that I rotated out of.

I've flown once and I still had a level camera and stabilization after/during the flight. So happy to have solved the problem and to not had to spend any more money :)

Thanks,
Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav