Bad battery - Low at 50% ?!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on latest fw, 3.0.6, batteries set to 'go home when low' mode. Using genuine DJI batteries. I've flown a fair few times but the other day had a scare when my battery meter (on Android app) started flashing low at 50% and as such the Phantom started decending rapidly (all red lights flashing) with me fighting to gain control.

At first I thought the Phantom might be faulty but my spare battery seems to work fine all the way down to ~20% so it's looking like my battery might be faulty. What do you think of these stats, anything odd (apart from serial number edited out) - anyone else had such a weird fault and should my reseller replace the battery?

j1X4iwy.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I realise it would probably help if I try charging the battery to full so I'll do that now and post the results soon.

Pretty significant cell balance issue (voltage of individual cells).

Recharge and check again.

The low battery alarm has less to do now with how much charge is left and more to do with how far away the Phantom is.
It alarms when it thinks you have just enough charge left to get back to your home point so it will vary depending on how far away you are.

True,I understand that,but my Phantom was hovering maybe 5m away from me when I tested it earlier. 9 satellites locked on etc so it knew where it was. Sounds like a bad cell issue as those threads show :?

If it's a faulty cell it will only get worse over the next couple of flights. If so send it in for replacement.
I myself had a bad battery as have many others.
Here is a thread full of such issues viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324

Hi phantom85,

Same thing happened with me just a week ago.
PV2+ hoovering very at 10 meters away and 15 meters high.
Started to alarm at 61 % and Phantom went to landing.
It was my spare genuine DJI battery.
Did a full recharge and tested again at next day... mantaining the bird very near... it alarmed at 82% and went to landing.
So in my two cases it had noting to do with the bird being far away.
Called local dealer and hi told he will exchange the battery.

Best regards : Juan

Your full capacity is very low as well. I had a similar issue with a battery- bad cell and full capacity was at 5000mah. Both of my good batteries are very close to the 5200 man design capacity.

hi hantom85,

Could you please if possibly inform what the kind of battery sensor contacts have the failing battery, I.E: square or round ones.

Thanks in advance : Juan

Geert said:
4wd said:
They do have a year warranty so going to be worth asking.

Some say there is just 3 months warranty on the battery. The 3 months warranty is also on DJI website.
But DJI Europe did send email to confirm it is 1 year warranty.
Is there a difference in warranty when purchased in the States or in Europe?

Geert./.

Typically yes on electronic items the EU is a special case that gets their own rules on pretty much everything. A GoPro camera for example has a 1 year warranty in the US, but the EU gets 2 years because of some trade commission consumer protection blahblah

To the OP Run your battery down to ~8% with the phantom on and the motors started up. The manual states this should be done approximately every 20 cycles. After your battery is run down and the phantom turns off by itself let the battery completely cool, then let it get a full charge. This will probably take about 2 hours on the wall charger.

Geert said:
4wd said:
They do have a year warranty so going to be worth asking.

Some say there is just 3 months warranty on the battery. The 3 months warranty is also on DJI website.
But DJI Europe did send email to confirm it is 1 year warranty.
Is there a difference in warranty when purchased in the States or in Europe?

Geert./.

Yes as per EU guidelines all things sold in the Eu has to have a 2 year warranty.
Now the specific details i don't know but it use to be 1 year and now its 2 years, could be thats different on some things, that i don't know.

@phantom85

As asked before, let us know what kind of type data contacts were used on that faulty battery.
Anyway i had the same issue with one, mailed the dealer and they told me to ship it back.

Low Battery honk at 80%?

So I am flying along and I get a lower battery honking sound briefly. I looked at battery and it was 80%. I think the minutes bar at top was 14 minutes. It was teens for sure.

I was a long way out (about a mile) and it caught me off guard. It did not last long and it wasn't a low battery. I continued to fly and when I lost connectivity I allowed it to do RTH and come home. No issues at all except for the couple honks.

Anyone else had this issue? I don't remember reading about it.

Re: Low Battery honk at 80%?

Yes it happen to me last Thursday (Aug 21). I was at Sault Ste. Marie, MI videoing the ships in the St. Mary's river. Moving the phantom out a little way over the water to the first ship. The low battery klaxon went off for about two seconds. Turn the phantom 180 back over the land (only was 300 feet away. The battery was at 92%. Flew for 4 mins more and landed. I took off again with the same battery to video the big ship I was waiting for (Burns Harbor 1000 footer). After 7 mins with Burns Harbor I landed at 32% battery. No more klaxon after that first time (couple of honks). Ver. 3.06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfHlop ... e=youtu.be

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfHlopk5zw[/youtube]

Sounds exactly like mine. I went on another mission and had no issues but its quite startling when you hear it and you are a long way away (or over water in your case).

Not happened to me but make sure you keep the battery contacts clean with contact cleaner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.