Bad Battery After Only 44 Charges

Reaction score
I had fully recharged a battery I have had for about 6 weeks and had recharged 44 times. I have also did the total discharge down to less than 8% and then full recharge every 20 charges (twice).

I used this battery recently and was flying for about five minutes when at 75% the low battery warning started sounding. I was out about 1000 feet so hurried home and struggled to keep it in the air until I found a good place to land. When I landed there was only 6% charge left on the battery. I am glad I wasn't out about 8000 feet when this happened.

Has anyone else had similar battery problems like this?

RedBaron

Not uncommon to hear of lipos here and there having a bad cell... sucks to be the guy that it happens to but it ain't like it's rare or anything.... do you only have that one battery? Would be good to charge it up again and time it... If it charges really fast... check all the contacts and clean with electrical contact cleaner... maybe unlikely but there's a chance it was just giving bad info from the two small data pins... that could still be an internal problem in the battery though... "smart" function is defective ... or a bad cell... A bad cell would probably show swelling but not always.

Thanks

I have electrical contact cleaner, I will add the battery terminal cleaning to my service schedule.

Geert said:
RedBaron said:
I had fully recharged a battery I have had for about 6 weeks and had recharged 44 times. I have also did the total discharge down to less than 8% and then full recharge every 20 charges (twice).

I used this battery recently and was flying for about five minutes when at 75% the low battery warning started sounding. I was out about 1000 feet so hurried home and struggled to keep it in the air until I found a good place to land. When I landed there was only 6% charge left on the battery. I am glad I wasn't out about 8000 feet when this happened.

Has anyone else had similar battery problems like this?

RedBaron

Is your battery also a little swollen ?

Geert./.

Yes, the battery is a little swollen as compared to my other battery. I contacted my dealer and he said to send it to him and he would see if it could be covered under warranty. He wasn't sure, but said it was worth a try.

robinb said:
nhoover said:
Of my 4 batteries, one of them that had a similar number of cycles on it started doing what you describe. I bought some of this magic stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A5AAY

Problem is pretty much gone now.

Is that for the power and data pins on battery ?

Do you use the cleaner on both the battery and the aircraft?

Same problem here, very similar numbers, battery also swollen. Have sucked it up and purchased three others to continue flying but am not happy.

While on battery topic. Curious how many leave fresh battery in quad? How many leave depleted battery in quad and how many leave battery out when stored between flights?

Hi RedBaron,

Last monday i have just this kind a problem with one battery.
Started to alarm low battery at 61 % in 2 or 3 minutes of flight and very quicly discharged at all.
I landed the bird, powered off, did some umplug / plug of battery with no success.
Then cleaned the sensor contacts and charged it at full.
DJI assistant sees she as good and showing 39 discharges.
No time to test on PV2+ jet. Waiting for saturday to be a suitable wheather to fly.

Best Regards : Juan

Put the battery in your Phantom, connect to the Assistant software and look at the Cell voltages and if you see large difference (+0.2mV) between cells you might have bad cell or charging controller.

On my bad battery I couldn't really tell there was a bad cell from the phantom assistant when the battery was charged. when it was discharged to about 5% one cell was about 0.2 less than the other 2.
I read somewhere here that there are actually 6 cells in the phantom battery so there must 2 in parallel since we only see three cells in the assistant and 11.1V output.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 321
Good news DJI just replaced my defective battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20