Bad battery after 14 charges

Reaction score
On 29/7 i bought a new battery so i had 3 pieces.
I did a range test yesterday to see how the bird would behave after i added a 10 turn helical ( home brewed, SWR 1.08 ) on the FPV side and that with NO booster. RC was on 100mW and i know i get +18000ft out of that.
So i toke the new battery because the other 2 have more charges.
I had the app om metric and after 2km it whent to N/A as expected.
Switched to imperial and went to 8000ft and still excellent FPV with no boosters.
I decided that it was more then enough so i set the remote off.
It came back and when the battery was @ 45% the app sounded the low bat alarm. Strange but it was still some 2000ft away.
It began decent and i could manage to bring it back switching back and forth to GPS and ATTI.
On that moment when its almost home a police van pulled over blocking my LOS on the remote.
I ignored them, they show up when you don't need them djee.
So i could bring the bird home safe after some twitching stress moments, i even did a handcatch.
As i suspected a faulty battery i charged it and it was charged in less time then usual. Take more then 1u15 right ?
I guess it was charged after 45 min or so.
Today i had that battery up as a first.
On 90% the low battery sounded again and it began auto decent.
It landed and it never lowered its charging percentage.
Ones landed and motors still running the alarm stopped.
Battery now on 85% i gave it a boost to let it hover.
As soon i gave throttle the alarm sounded again.
I hocked up the bird on the assistant and there is nothing irregular to see.
I tried to fire it up but it doesn't do anything when its connected to a PC.
I unplugged to fire up and to connect it on the PC because i suspect a faulty cel.
It didn't show anything out of the ordinary, all 3 cell's on the same level of voltage.
The battery still act suspicious and its not safe to fly with it.
The other 2 battery's i have give a 14 min flight time with no issue's.

My question:
Would this battery be a case of warranty ?

Got a reply from the dealer, battery is shipped out today.
Lets see what happens next.

ToThePoint said:
On 29/7 i bought a new battery so i had 3 pieces.
I did a range test yesterday to see how the bird would behave after i added a 10 turn helical ( home brewed, SWR 1.08 ) on the FPV side and that with NO booster. RC was on 100mW and i know i get +18000ft out of that.
So i toke the new battery because the other 2 have more charges.
I had the app om metric and after 2km it whent to N/A as expected.
Switched to imperial and went to 8000ft and still excellent FPV with no boosters.
I decided that it was more then enough so i set the remote off.
It came back and when the battery was @ 45% the app sounded the low bat alarm. Strange but it was still some 2000ft away.
It began decent and i could manage to bring it back switching back and forth to GPS and ATTI.
On that moment when its almost home a police van pulled over blocking my LOS on the remote.
I ignored them, they show up when you don't need them djee.
So i could bring the bird home safe after some twitching stress moments, i even did a handcatch.
As i suspected a faulty battery i charged it and it was charged in less time then usual. Take more then 1u15 right ?
I guess it was charged after 45 min or so.
Today i had that battery up as a first.
On 90% the low battery sounded again and it began auto decent.
It landed and it never lowered its charging percentage.
Ones landed and motors still running the alarm stopped.
Battery now on 85% i gave it a boost to let it hover.
As soon i gave throttle the alarm sounded again.
I hocked up the bird on the assistant and there is nothing irregular to see.
I tried to fire it up but it doesn't do anything when its connected to a PC.
I unplugged to fire up and to connect it on the PC because i suspect a faulty cel.
It didn't show anything out of the ordinary, all 3 cell's on the same level of voltage.
The battery still act suspicious and its not safe to fly with it.
The other 2 battery's i have give a 14 min flight time with no issue's.

My question:
Would this battery be a case of warranty ?
Hi ToThePoint,

Good to know that you achieved to manage the situation and saved the bird !
BTW i also had this kind a issue with one battery at 39 charging cycle... it alarmed critical at 81 % and the bird went to landing... fortunatelly the bird was flying very near and no problems at all, but stayed figuring out what the different result would be if i had have the bird flying at 400 mts away over a lake ... and this issue happened...
No more bird at all !
But could you please take a look on the faling battery on the sensor contacts near the power contacts if they are square or round contacts, please ?

The one that failed to me the contacts were roud contacts.

Best regards : Juan

@ Juan

I know what you mean and i checked that before i shipped it out yesterday.
Yes they were the round ones, the other 2 that don't have issue's are the square ones ( and the newer models i guess, not sure ).
It doesn't have to end in disaster like you mention.
I could give it throttle up ( half way left stick up ( approx half way between mid and full up position on left stick to let it hover again)) and it had enough juice to do so. So i suspect it is just a data ( round pcb plates ) issue and not a lipo cell one.
I exercise that let it hover again procedure when its in auto descent ( 14% or below ) @ the end of a battery. Just a few seconds to get the feeling.
It comes handy when you need it like in this case.

Ok ToThePoint,

TKS for your feedback and info.
I will practice to hover the bird with batt below 15 % in the way you explaided.
About my battery issue, Checked it with the assistant and it showed the middle cell was 100 mv below than two oteher cells voltage.

Wow 14 charges is low. Glad you got it back.
I too had a bad battery replaced and the anxiety of trying to get it home still haunts me.

Dealer sended out the battery yesterday, i expect it Monday as its a international expedition.
I let the bird hover today after the 15% decent limit and moving the left stick up just out of the middle position let the bird hover back again.
To ascent again you have to push the stick over half the traveling way from middle to full up.
Indeed, get the feeling of it, one day you will need that experience.

juangelb said:
Ok ToThePoint,

TKS for your feedback and info.
I will practice to hover the bird with batt below 15 % in the way you explaided.
About my battery issue, Checked it with the assistant and it showed the middle cell was 100 mv below than two oteher cells voltage.

Could be a issue. Check it again when battery level is on 75%, 50 % and 25%. Or almost empty.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20