Backpack to travel on plane or hardcase?

Reaction score
I have already traveled with backpack a couple of times and it was just fine fitting in overhead and keeping batteries with me. I have the Case Club Pro wheeled hard case now and I'm wondering if I should go that route checking it in and keeping batteries with me in the cabin? Instead of backpack and putting it in overhead? Any thoughts on what you guys think is easier? Thanks a bunch.

IMO, it depends. Some airlines limits the number of carry-ons you can have. One carry-on and a personal item. I've been on flights where over-heads have filled up and you have to check even backpacks if they don't fit under the seat in front of you. It also depends if you only carry-on your "drone" and nothing else.

While I've YET to travel with my drone. My current plan is to buy a nice hard case and check it in. Other than theft and maybe a little rough handling I won't worry about it. I don't want to be stuck in that situation where there is no more overhead storage and it has to be checked in in its backpack. I don't trust the DJI multi pack that I have to protect it...

I have already traveled with backpack a couple of times and it was just fine fitting in overhead and keeping batteries with me. I have the Case Club Pro wheeled hard case now and I'm wondering if I should go that route checking it in and keeping batteries with me in the cabin? Instead of backpack and putting it in overhead? Any thoughts on what you guys think is easier? Thanks a bunch.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
IMO, it depends. Some airlines limits the number of carry-ons you can have. One carry-on and a personal item. I've been on flights where over-heads have filled up and you have to check even backpacks if they don't fit under the seat in front of you. It also depends if you only carry-on your "drone" and nothing else.

While I've YET to travel with my drone. My current plan is to buy a nice hard case and check it in. Other than theft and maybe a little rough handling I won't worry about it. I don't want to be stuck in that situation where there is no more overhead storage and it has to be checked in in its backpack. I don't trust the DJI multi pack that I have to protect it...
Thanks for the reply QuadBart. I'm kinda with you. If it will always fit in overhead I don't mind that at all. But if they have to check my backpack then I'm worried it's going to get crushed possibly. So I guess I will try checking my hard case and just taking batteries out of it and keeping them with me onboard. Kind of a hassle but safer I think. Most planes have room for my backpack but I have seen a few that did not.

I traveled twice this summer with my P3P. It was good to have the hard case, a Pelican im2600. A couple legs had small planes and were full, so I checked it. Other legs were wide body planes and I carried it on. Everything was fine in the flights where it was checked. It fit fine in the overhead on the wide body planes but would not have fit in the smaller ones.

One reminder-make sure to have the gimbal lock securely in place.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic