back to front

Reaction score
i'm new to this forum and have my phantom on back order (local shop sold out & is waiting for a fresh shipment). can't wait to get it.

with that said, is there a way to make the "back" the front and the "front" the back? i just don't like how the door to the battery compartment is the "front" and the nice blinking LED light is the "back".

any thoughts on this?

Fly it in IOC mode

And the front / back doesn't matter.

Honestly, I would think that you'd want the light on the back for reference as it's flying away from you.

That's just a guess however, my Phantom arrives tomorrow. ;-)

auck said:
i'm new to this forum and have my phantom on back order (local shop sold out & is waiting for a fresh shipment). can't wait to get it.

with that said, is there a way to make the "back" the front and the "front" the back? i just don't like how the door to the battery compartment is the "front" and the nice blinking LED light is the "back".

any thoughts on this?

Having the door in front, make sense, If it was not shut properly, having the door in the rear would be more likely to pop open, with it in the front, the air created would keep it shut, the same reason most car bonnets are in the front of the car, as it is pushing into the wind, so helps hold it down.

I am sure this is one of the reasons. And the other is it helps you know the rear, as most of the time, your flying forward and then can see when your battery is getting flat by the red flashes, etc.

The blinking light in the rear of the copter tells you what is going on with calibration, compass, GPS Satellites, flight modes, etc.

You will need this in order to fly to Phantom.

Here is a site that show all the light patterns. Please scroll down to the bottom.
http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html

The lights are also spelled out in the manuals downloadable from DJII-Innovations.
http://www.dji-innovations.com/products ... downloads/

I have the advantage of having flown the Phantom three times yesterday!
Happy flying.

aesthetically, I agree - almost every electronic device out there generally has a battery door on the bottom or backside.

But when looks at the design of the Phantom and fly it around, it makes much more sense, as you'd want the blinking light on the back, thus due to the compact design, the only place to put the battery door is on the front.

Consider in a way the Phantom as a aerial photography rig, with the GoPro facing forward, you'd want to have the flying information facing you, instead of away.

Does take a bit of getting used to seeing red lights in front, green in back, but you eventually get the hang of it.

thanks for the feed back guys. never thought of the indicator light as being crucial to flight beyond the initializing stage. however, i do have to agree that if that's the only way to know when the battery is low, then the lights has to be on the back.... too bad. was thinking maybe putting in an LED light where the indicator was and attaching the indicator light to the door somehow. ah well.

auck said:
thanks for the feed back guys. never thought of the indicator light as being crucial to flight beyond the initializing stage. however, i do have to agree that if that's the only way to know when the battery is low, then the lights has to be on the back.... too bad. was thinking maybe putting in an LED light where the indicator was and attaching the indicator light to the door somehow. ah well.

Just start flying and enjoy no need to put an indicator light in the front.. focus more on projects like removing jello, gimbals, prop balancing and such.

Gizmo3000 said:
Does take a bit of getting used to seeing red lights in front, green in back, but you eventually get the hang of it.

I'm thinking it should be a relatively easy mod to swap the red and green LED lighting on the arms.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik