"Ba-rack is com-ing, to town"

Reaction score
The topic title should be sung like the Santa song.

I just got the coolest email. I joined the AMA a while back. I guess my address went into their database. Today, the president is coming to my area (I haven't been invited or anything). They AMA gave me notice of the "VIP movement" and a copy of the temporary flight restriction "TFR".

The wording of the TFR specifically mentions model aircraft and UAS. No flying today during the times of the TFR within 30 miles of his location. I have to say, really cool feature of AMA membership. I know the TFRs are available online and should be checked before any flight, but its great to have a backstop. Since my 13 year old has an FC40, I made sure to let my wife know he is GROUNDED today (we are about 5 miles from the base he is visiting).

And I'll assume that when the next Republican President comes to town, and the Secret Service requests a TFR from the FAA, that you will be similarly unhappy.

FWIW AMA has been working to get the SS/FAA to exempt models from these VIP TFRs, but so far neither agency has done so. They did allow for a "waiver" of sorts for a RC jet event earlier this year in the Palm Springs area. It was a large event where people had traveled considerable distances to get to. The TFR popped up 3 days before the event. AMA was able to get the SS/FAA to allow the event to go as planned. SS/FAA came out in the morning of the first day of the event, did a full security sweep of the pits, models, etc. and then hung around and watched the fun. They were very impressed by the models and their owners. SO we got a little positive PR from it.

AMA plans to keep working to get models exempted, but these agencies are difficult to get to do that since they prefer the blanket approach. Easier just to cover everything rather than try to figure out what to exempt.

SilentAV8R said:
And I'll assume that when the next Republican President comes to town, and the Secret Service requests a TFR from the FAA, that you will be similarly unhappy.

What gave you the idea I am unhappy? I was merely getting in the holiday spirit with the post title. I'm an independent voter. Actually, the President is speaking to the veterans and active military serving at the combined Fort Dix-Lakehurst base, which I applaud. So I miss a few hours in the air, no big deal.

Got it. All too often I have seen people try to use the VIP/Security TFR to make a negative comment about Obama. Like he is responsible for them. TFRs of this type are a fact of life and I am hoping the AMA can get the SS/FAA to understand that we do not pose a threat.

Back in the 80's, TFRs were not used for VIP movements. I flew my Cessna over Air Force 1 (Actually Air Force 27000, the President wasn't on board) when it was parked at Moffett Field, Mountain View, CA. Right in front of what is now the Google Hangar. Unfortunately, today busting a TFR is a "must prosecute" rule, no matter how inadvertent the bust was.

I got to meet Obama when I was in Afghanistan once. We all had to line up next to the walkway going towards our HQ building where the tops did their cool top secret stuff. He pretty much got out of the car, walked very fast right past everyone with a *I run this* face and into the building. He didn't wave at anybody, smile, or anything. We had to stand out there at attention for almost an hour as we waited on him to arrive, and he just walks right past everyone in a matter of seconds, and then we all went back to whatever we were doing. It felt kinda weird standing that close to the president with a loaded M249 though, but at the same time, I kinda felt like I was in the secret service for a few seconds. :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20