B4UFly

Reaction score
Has anyone used this app to "request permission" to fly your drone. I want to fly mine for a buddy who is having a memorial day celebration. I don't plan on flying over 100ft or even above the building it is at and it is only for less than 25 min (of course that is how long the battery lasts). There is a small airport about 4 miles away. Thoughts or Opinions?

Last edited:
The rules are the rules until they change them. It is my understanding that the tower notification function of the B4UFLY app is not operational and is for test only (but I haven't opened that app in like 3 months). Seriously, just contact your airport manager and/or tower and just let them know of your intentions. They don't bite and is necessary to comply with the rules and more importantly, keep our skies safe. Also remember, you are not requesting permission, but notifying them of your intentions. Lots of time the drone notification procedures is listed on their website or some even have a form you can fill out on the website so you don't even need to call in.

Reactions: EddieM
I think the app you want is called AirMap that can connect you to the FAA. You can log your flight plans on this app and check local no-fly zone's. I have not logged a flight plan yet.

Last edited:
I just tried this app it's telling me flight restricted in my backyard. I'm 7 air miles from Philly International. Thought 5 was the threshold?

I just tried this app it's telling me flight restricted in my backyard. I'm 7 air miles from Philly International. Thought 5 was the threshold?

Try www.dji.com/mobile/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

The map can be moved and zoomed to your location in Pa.

It will show restricted zone (red) authorization zone (yellow) and 2 warning zones. You can unlock the yellow zone, but not the red.

Green zones are flyable. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: DrDrone413
The rules are the rules until they change them. It is my understanding that the tower notification function of the B4UFLY app is not operational and is for test only (but I haven't opened that app in like 3 months). Seriously, just contact your airport manager and/or tower and just let them know of your intentions. They don't bite and is necessary to comply with the rules and more importantly, keep our skies safe. Also remember, you are not requesting permission, but notifying them of your intentions. Lots of time the drone notification procedures is listed on their website or some even have a form you can fill out on the website so you don't even need to call in.
There is NO ONE TO CONTACT. I live 10 miles from a real airport but within 5 miles are 2 heliports and 2 uncontrolled airfields (not airports). I have found no contact information anywhere. Call the hospital and you get crickets. This requirement to contact an airfield with no controls an unacceptable burden.

There is NO ONE TO CONTACT. I live 10 miles from a real airport but within 5 miles are 2 heliports and 2 uncontrolled airfields (not airports). I have found no contact information anywhere. Call the hospital and you get crickets. This requirement to contact an airfield with no controls an unacceptable burden.

While I understand your frustration do understand it's out of an abundance of caution that this requirement is placed upon you. I can assure you that merely making the phone call (or attempting to) is a whole lot easier than sitting down and filing a request for Airspace Waiver/Authorization and then sitting on your hands weeks/months waiting for it to get approved/denied.

The burden is for you to make an attempt to make contact (and log/document your efforts just in case). If for some reason (aka crickets) you can't then you have at least made a valid effort to do so. If there is an incident of any kind (close call, collision etc) the burden falls squarely on your shoulders regardless.

Just FYI... it took me almost 2 full weeks to get in contact with the right entity here locally to notify when we are flying near the hospital (MediVac helipad). the hospital is not where the MEdiVac is dispatched from and they only have contact with them when they are inbound to the ER. We finally got in touch with the dispatch company located in the next county. Once we had the right contact we sat down and worked out an easy to follow system of notification between us (It's 2-way for obvious reasons). It was frustrating but we stayed the course and had a great result because of it.

While initially it may seem an "unacceptable burden" in the big picture is it really that BIG of a deal? Nahhhhhh.

Remember we are playing with our toys in Manned Aircraft Airspace so really we are lucky it's not more difficult than it is.

The FAA does put out an airport directory that "should" have up to date contact information. I've discovered that there is dated and incorrect information in the directory and sometimes it shows inactive airports as being active. The link below might be a good source but they do get some of their data from the FAA's resources. Big Al hit the nail on the head - try to contact, keep a record to show that you attempted to make contact then go fly (safely)! :)

https://www.airnav.com/airports/

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4