Awesome Quadcopter Pilot on Vimeo

Reaction score
Does anyone know about this guy? Is he on this forum? I'm following him on Vimeo and am totally in awe of his flying and video taping skills. He is my inspiration! Check out some of his video's here... https://vimeo.com/user387256/videos

You can spot him flying with goggles in some of these videos but you have to look close. :)

Looking at the shadows, looks like he's flying a F450 (not a Phantom). I'm wondering if the P2 is capable of this???

I've never seen him before, but he does have some awesome stuff posted on there.

This one is an excellent example of what the edited version (first half of this clip) looks like in comparison to the raw footage (second half of the clip). It also shows how it can take an hour of prep for 30sec of video: http://vimeo.com/61509852

The rig he's flying is a custom setup based on some frame I don't recognize offhand (maybe an X-650, not sure). The vision could probably pull off the flight maneuvers, but he's shooting with a much higher class of camera.

OI Photography said:
I've never seen him before, but he does have some awesome stuff posted on there.
He never responds to any questions on Vimeo. Very mysterious guy.

OI Photography said:
one is an excellent example of what the edited version (first half of this clip) looks like in comparison to the raw footage (second half of the clip). It also shows how it can take an hour of prep for 30sec of video: http://vimeo.com/61509852

Yes, I've seen that video. Pretty cool.

OI Photography said:
rig he's flying is a custom setup based on some frame I don't recognize offhand (maybe an X-650, not sure). The vision could probably pull off the flight maneuvers, but he's shooting with a much higher class of camera.

Depends on which video you're talking about. On one of the video's their is a comment from someone who posted a link of a video. It show's this guy doing a "mirror test" where he's testing the Zenmuse gimbal. He has a GoPro mounted.

Check out the last video he posted recently. The one of him flying out of his apartment on the beach. Does anyone know what that antenna is? Is that for the video link? Can anyone tell what kind of goggles he's wearing?

I don't know what antenna that is or anything about the goggles, but here's some screen grabs to maybe help others who recognize them:
uHfuFBu.jpg

eNEXEEm.jpg

The airframe I was referring to was the one I saw in this image vimeo showed for that vid I linked:
BY5f8Nol.jpg

I'm guessing he probably has/uses several platforms. I caught this one from that same latest vid he posted, can't quite tell what it is, but it might be the same one in the image above.
bK3vJdm.jpg

Thanks for posting these OI. I'm not computer savye enough to do these screen shots. :oops:

I'm not sure that was his work (and quadcopter) in the video of the skate boarders. Looks more like a Hollywood production as he list's credits to some other people. Not sure though.

I have a Black Pearl monitor but no goggles (yet). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the ONLY way to fly like this is WITH goggles. Right?

DesertFlyer53 said:
I have a Black Pearl monitor but no goggles (yet). Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the ONLY way to fly like this is WITH goggles. Right?

Pretty much. Unless you keep it close in where you can have a good view, and happen to have a brain that's great at adjusting your input based on the aircraft's orientation relative to you (and equally good at relative spatial relations), you really need to have the FPV perspective to pull off that kind of flying

That's what I thought. A monitor is more for framing a shot and not so much for piloting a drone like this guy is doing. I can pilot mine from the monitor... if I'm going slow. But no way I'm going to trying squeezing my P2 through a tight space (like that life guard tower) going that fast using a monitor.

So... I'm going to buy some goggles. Can anyone give me words of wisdom (based on the market today) which goggles are best? Fatshark Predator V2 is what I'm leaning towards.

There are so many platforms and variety, but that high speed, low altitude fpv work like is shown on the beach is performed by gear like pictured here: http://www.wowhobbies.com/images/produc ... mbal.2.jpg

Team Blacksheep has a mod for the 450 I believe, and there is another frame called the tank or something... very similar in form factor and with gopro camera placement at the front.

At the end of the day, goggles and balls of steel, and like he says- practice, practice, practice... I have the cojones, and the time, and will get goggles one day, but as for the will? I don't know yet- and those quads and setups run into the 5 grand price range RTF- so it isn't an inexpensive course to head on.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Check this link out and look at the "mirror test" video. Shows his rig. http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/robert-mcintosh-aerial-gopro-footage-2/

Reading the article... he is NOT a fan of the Phantom. Oh well.

Thanks, that's an interesting custom rig he's built. I have no clue what the Tupperware bin on the top is for.

He does have a bit of a point about how the Phantom is a package of compromises that can be beat in terms of price and performance by those who know what they're doing...but it's still the best all-around option for those who are just starting out, and/or don't have the level of DIY-ness that these little marvels of engineering require to custom-build.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1