Avoiding Cutoff

Reaction score
Is there any way to avoid engine cutoff while flying, especially during a fast descent? I am wondering if I ever get into an emergency and need a fast descent, is it possible to cut off the engine power of the Dji Phantom? Is there a failsafe mode that can be activated, or maybe an audible cue from the remote warning of 0 percent throttle? I would hate to see the phantom fall out of the sky!

If you use the default setting for motor control (intelligent mode) you don't realy have to worry about cuttoff.
From the Naza -M quickstart manual:
Intelligent Mode: By using this mode, different control mode has different way of stopping motors. In
Manual Mode, only executing CSC can stop motors. In ATTI. Mode or GPS ATTI. Mode, any one of
following four cases will stop motors:
a) You don’t push throttle stick after motors start within three seconds;
b) Executing CSC;
c) Throttle stick under 10%, and after landing for more than 3 seconds.
d) If the angle of multi-rotor is over 70°, and throttle stick under 10%.

I too was worried about this, but if you use INTELLIGENT for engine control, you have no worries. Even with a fast descend, you won't cut off the engines and it will stay stable.

Just know, with a throttle under 10%, it thinks you are trying a quick landing and it ignores all other controls until you are back above 10%. Learning this during one flight freaked me out.

thanks for the posts guys. The manual was chinese translated sp they are not that clear. they don't define what immediate or intelligenit mode is. I am assuming the flying in Gps or ati modemis the intelligent mode. By default no switches are yet programmed for immediate mode as they have to be programmed on the pc and uploaded to the craft. Am I correct in these assumptions?

this is straight from the naza software tip panel on the left hand side of the UI:

"Immediately -- In any control mode, once motors start and throttle stick is over 10%, motors will stop immediately when throttle stick is back under 10% again.In this case, if you push the throttle stick over 10% within 5 seconds after motors stop, motors will re-start. If you don’t push throttle stick after motors start in 3 seconds, motors will stop automatically.

Intelligent -- In any control mode, only push both sticks to the left or right bottom can stop motors.In ATTI./GPS Mode, any one of following cases will stop motors. (1)You don’t push throttle stick after motors start within 3 seconds. (2)Throttle stick under 10%, and after landing 3 seconds. (3)The slope angle of multi-rotor is over 70°, and throttle stick under 10%."

you can set which type of cut off you want in the naza software. go to advance, to motor, and then select the type you want under the section "cut off type". by default the Intelligent mode is selected.

Speaking as someone who has experienced an "emergency" in flight (rf interference from military excercises nearby, causing a flyaway) my instinctive reaction was to try an emergency landing.

Wrong!!!

As any pilot will tell you, if you have altitude, you have a chance of retrieving the situation, lose altitude and you forfeit that breathing space.

I cut my engines with a csc and dropped my copter and camera from 250 feet into a rape seed crop. Luckily no serious damage, but what I should have done was take a deep breath and hit the failsafe switch first. If danger to others is still present then sacrifice the copter with a csc, but it is a last resort.

One day, fly a hundred meters away and engage the failsafe, I think it will boost your confidence. Hope this helps.

Thanks howardmaryon I think that will boost my confidence. I guess practice and experience are the best teachers. But the safest is letting you practice! Hopefully which we can learn from. But unfortunately if that was the case I would remain an armchair flyer.

I just have to practice but with everyone's help hopefully it will make it easier.

So to be clear, one last question. In intelligent mode, if you are coming down quickly at 0 throttle, it won't cut out because it knows it is asceding, only after it lands and throttle is zero will it cut.

Is that correct?

Re: Thanks Maryon

Yes I think your experience will help greatly. Glad no major damage from the 250 ft. drop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.