Avoided disaster yesterday

Reaction score
Have not flown in a while so I decided to take the phantom for a brief flight. Went out to the street and done the calibration, etc.. all was set to go. Got her up in the air using auto take off, got it hovering and decided to go up a little ways, once I got her up I happened to notice red lights flashing ????? So i decided to bring it down (was up only 30 ft. or so I'm guessing. as i got it about 1/2 to 1 foot of off the ground to land i noticed it started drifting. Then it seems as if the props started speeding up??? luckily I was only a few feet off off the ground. And as all of this was going on my bird started "atti mode, atti mode" ??? I started in "GPS" well being only about 6 inches off the ground it tilted in a run away fashion but i was pullling down hard on the stick to stop it. She kinda skimmed across the yard "on the prop guards" thank goodness for those and finally came to rest.

If you upload your flight log here and post a link back here, we can take a look and try to help you figure out what happened.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Have not flown in a while so I decided to take the phantom for a brief flight. Went out to the street and done the calibration, etc.. all was set to go. Got her up in the air using auto take off, got it hovering and decided to go up a little ways, once I got her up I happened to notice red lights flashing ????? So i decided to bring it down (was up only 30 ft. or so I'm guessing. as i got it about 1/2 to 1 foot of off the ground to land i noticed it started drifting. Then it seems as if the props started speeding up??? luckily I was only a few feet off off the ground. And as all of this was going on my bird started "atti mode, atti mode" ??? I started in "GPS" well being only about 6 inches off the ground it tilted in a run away fashion but i was pullling down hard on the stick to stop it. She kinda skimmed across the yard "on the prop guards" thank goodness for those and finally came to rest.
Was your screen displaying a "Compass Error" message? I've noticed problems like this after not flying for a week or two. Same as you, I go out and do a calibration, get ready to take off, and there is a compass error. But I haven't taken off while having a compass error message. It always seems to go away after a while but I don't know what causes it.

Prop guards are like sails for boats. The wind catches them and off the bird will go. Happened to me yesterday as well. Went into 'Atti' mode by itself also when it lost GPS signal. I was very happy for the guards as it flew into a brick wall and a wood fence. Totally unscathed, tho! Took the guards off and all was right with the world again. ;)

Got compass error before I calibrated ??

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: pooch4
Prop guards are like sails for boats. The wind catches them and off the bird will go. Happened to me yesterday as well. Went into 'Atti' mode by itself also when it lost GPS signal. I was very happy for the guards as it flew into a brick wall and a wood fence. Totally unscathed, tho! Took the guards off and all was right with the world again. ;)
Well for me prop guards will stay on , damage would have been for sure without guards , and I don't think guards caused " atti mode" situation. This is like saying my car skidded of the road so I cancelled my insurance , all is good now [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not really. More like saying, "my car skidded off the road so I got new tires"...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Multicoptertec
If your drone is still in the air, pulling back on the left stick will not stop the motors. If you're that close to the ground and you want to stop the motors pull both sticks down and in at the same time.

It could just be that the quad lost Gps lock, switch to atti(semi manuel) and start drifting.

Actually if you let the quad go back up a bit. You can probably regain control flying Manuel and might even regain gps lock. Just my wild guess of course

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not really. More like saying, "my car skidded off the road so I got new tires"...:rolleyes:
Which actually might be the smart thing to do if your slick tire is what cause the skid in the first place

ok drone did the exact same thing again !!! luckily again only about 6 inches off the ground. exact direction , everything b lining to the neighbors yard ??? this time it eventually flipped over. again the drone was on the ground while pulling back one stick??? maybe i should have pulled back on both of them but once the drone hit the ground i thought it was OK to pull one stick... Anyway tried to calibrate and kept getting "strong magnetic yada yada yada" so i did not attempt to fly it again. After work today i took it over to the park out in the middle to try and get away from any "interference" every time i tried to calibrate the drone as soon as i picked it up "atti mode !! atti mode !!" finally after about 6 tries it finally calibrated ??? but all along even while trying to calibrate the "safe to fly GPS" was lit up in green ???

It could just be that the quad lost Gps lock, switch to atti(semi manuel) and start drifting.

Actually if you let the quad go back up a bit. You can probably regain control flying Manuel and might even regain gps lock. Just my wild guess of course

probably but it wasn't headed back up, tilting sideways b- lining across the grass more like skipping across

This is why I just bought an Advanced. For Lightbridge and the additional satellites. Because my Standard did that to me once. I was fine but it did it again up high and I don't need that stress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20