AVL58 Problems - Fried wiring??

Reaction score
Hello All!

Well, I hate for my first post on the forum to be a problem but I'm hoping a wiring wizard could help me figure out what went dreadfully wrong with my AVL58 video transmitter installation.

I have a Phantom V1.1 with Zenmuse gimbal and Naza PMU V2. I hard wired the power and ground connector from the AVL58 harness to the "UCC" and "GND" connectors on the main board. Then I plugged the 3.5mm cable into the AV port of my Zenmuse gimbal.

The other end of the cable was plugged into the AVL58 receive and the TX antenna and I plugged in the battery. Immediately the wiring harness smoked and appears to have ruined my transmitter! What could have gone wrong? It seemed like a very simple plug and play installation.

here's a link to some photos I took to show how I installed this. You can see in the pics where the wiring has melted...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34609035@N07/

I'm a wiring wizard! But I don't have those items, so I can't help anymore than guessing :( however, I will call upon @martcerv as I'm pretty sure he has some of those items and has explained the wiring to others :)

Driffill said:
I'm a wiring wizard! But I don't have those items, so I can't help anymore than guessing :( however, I will call upon @martcerv as I'm pretty sure he has some of those items and has explained the wiring to others :)

That would be a great help! I took the harness apart and (I could be wrong but) it appears the power and ground leads are reversed from the factory? I haven't been able to confirm the proper wiring pin out configuration though

OI Photography said:
davidsharp75 said:
I haven't been able to confirm the proper wiring pin out configuration though

This diagram should help: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/IOSD-Connections

You'll see the DJI 5.8 Tx in the top left, but the pinouts are listed in the top right by "Other wireless video transmitter"

Wow thanks that is very helpful! I pulled the sheathing back on the harness. The red battery lead wire is soldered to the black and yellow wires which appears to the the ground wires on that diagram? It would appear that the power and ground wires were reversed based on that diagram. Does that look to me the case to you?

What ended up being the solution?....I tried the exact same thing today and smoked my IOSD mini and 5.8vtx, what the hell is going on here? I didn't cut the tape on the cable but I assume its the same issue.

I sent the unit back to the retailer for an exchange providing the information to back up the claim that it was faulty from the manufacturer. When they sent me a new one I decided to use a volt meter to tone test the wire leads and sure enough, the power and ground were reverse on the 8-pin connector. So....against everything in my body telling me "no!!!!!!!!" I wire the black wire the 12v and the Red wire to ground and is worked.

I suppose I could have re-pinned the harness but what ever, it worked

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1